1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArtVandalay, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Thread Starter

Greetings....

Can someone please explain this??

I installed a new video card, an attempted upgrade to a 256mb GeForce FX 5600 from an FX 5200. The attached image is a screenshot of my desktop after installation.

A task pane on the desktop?!? :confused: Neither I nor anyone that I know has ever seen anything like this.

Some more oddities:

- After installing the new card & drivers then rebooting, the desktop (& everything else) was unchanged. The altered desktop did not appear until after I shut down, then turned the PC on (the next day).

- Pressing the Win key did not bring up the start panel - I had to left-click the start button.

- The network connections icon no longer appeared in the system tray, even though the 'show icon in notification area when connected' box was still checked. The 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon was similarly missing.

- Even after uninstalling the new card & rolling back the drivers, the task pane on the desktop was still there. It wasn't until after I restored the pre-installation contents of the hard drive from a backup disk image that I waa able to have a normal desktop as well as regain the Windows key functionality and missing icons.

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The first problem I see is that you have Spyware; DateManager.

If you want to remove the bar at the top you should be able to right click on it and select Close Toolbar.

A move from a FX5200 to a FX5600 is a marginal upgrade.

3. Smety

Smety

Like Triple6 said, you should normally be able to close it by right clicking on it, if that doesnt work scan for spyware, other than that I dont know.

BTW- what desktop skin are you using, its cool!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice