1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card upgrade ????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stecks, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

I have a E-Machines T2824 and right now it has a 64mb integrated video with it . I know it can't handle an AGP type of card so what the real question is can this system take a PCI-E card that would more than likely be 128mb ??????

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Looks like the only expansion slots you have are PCI, not PCI express.

This in mind, your upgrade options as far as graphics go are limited.

3. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

what exactly would i have for an option if PCI-E is a no go ?

4. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

The only reason I ask of this is because I've thought about changing my OS from XP Home to XP Media Center 2005 and it's video requirements are either 64 or 128. And also simply cause I don't have the money to buy a lagit XP Media Center PC's.

5. stantley

stantley

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

It seems your system only has a 5400 rpm HDD. You should have one open memory slot(some T2824 say there is only ONE slot, so check first). You could achieve better overall performance by upgrading to a 7200 rpm HDD and adding another stick of memory. The integrated, outdated video chip is already degrading system performance by using part of your present system memory now. Upgrading the video card without upgrading your HDD or memory first seems like a waste.

8. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

this system came stock with a 256 for memory and i bought another 256 somtime back.

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Okay, you've got 512MB RAM. That's great. You have a horrible (sorry, but Intel realized this and quickly went to the 865 chip next) graphics chip for video. Even the shared RAM isn't the biggest problem. It's the chip itself that sucks. I wouldn't invest much in a new video card. The power supplies in the eMachines are very unreliable. I would "only" consider this (vendors good, price is cheap, card is good for your use):

http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=187520

I guess you could jump to a 64MB card if you want, but the hard drive isn't going to let anything change too much.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/463993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice