1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hardstyle, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hardstyle

hardstyle Thread Starter

Okay hears the deal i play alot of Cs:s and just recently bought 1gb of ram for my comp.
    altough it was value ram it still bosted the proformace a good 25fps jump.
    my specs are
    CPU:intel duo core 2.4ghz
    Ram:2GB value ram 1 kingston 1 rendition
    Video Card: x1300 dont think its pro or nothing
    Power supply: 350watt
    Now im thinkin about getting A BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC 256MB. witch is decently powerfull its a dx10 card and i read somewher you can get the same proformace running a dx9 game with a 7900. witch may be the case but it will still be a jump from the x1300 witch sucks.. im jus wondering if thats a smart choice or should i buy a PS and the 8600?

2. hardstyle

hardstyle Thread Starter

Any one?

3. batharoy

batharoy

I think your PSU would be taxed pretty heavy if you move up to an 8 series card.
    I would go go with the PSU and regular 8600.

4. hardstyle

hardstyle Thread Starter

you think that would be enuf for games like bio shock?
    wouldnt the GTS be alot better?

5. batharoy

batharoy

Sure the GTS is better bit I dont think your current PSU will handle the power requirement.

6. hardstyle

hardstyle Thread Starter

Oh i know thers no way i could even run any 8 seris card with a 250watt PSU.
    but im jus sayin would it be enuf to run bioshock at full

7. jackdw

jackdw

Just save a little more and get a good GFX card and a good PSU. For that system, make sure you get at least a 450W PSU, preferably a 500/550W for extra security and some leeway for future upgrades.

I think a better graphics card would have helped the FPS more than the RAM to be honest. I run CS:S on this rig:
    AMD Sempron 3000+ (1.8ghz)
    1gb DDR1 PC2700 RAM
    ATI Radeon x1600 pro
    I get fps of 30-40ish but on a clean install of windows I think 50-60 would be easily attainable.

Save up a little more and get yourself a good graphics card AND a good PSU. You will regret getting a cheap graphics card.

8. hardstyle

hardstyle Thread Starter

Very true as is my system basicly full out on cs:s
    on just a x1300 video card
    2.4 ghz duo procesor
    2gb ram
    i get average 30-40 fps decek out

9. Compiler

Compiler

x1300 = pretty weak card... But SOURCE games don't really require much horse power anyways... its the NEW stuff coming out this year and 2008 that's killing cards.

8600 series is generally a weak mid-range card.... $250 for the BFG GTS OC is kinda high for such a junkie card... if it was $125, it would be okay. Considering that an 8800GTS starts at $280 and is about 3 times faster.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=854&model2=778&chart=288

If you're on a budget- the ATI x1950GTs is easily faster at $140~150.... or the $175 X1950XT is easily twice as fast.... hence, gamers are NOT impressed with the 8600 and lower series.

And you need a GOOD PSU... OCZ makes a 500watt unit for about $100.

10. hardstyle

hardstyle Thread Starter

I know the x1300 is weak its the card that came with my comp..
    and the BFG GTS OC is only 200
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....ProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=10260&SID= after the 50$ Mail in rebate

and im not really on a budget i was going to buy a whole new computor but iv decided to hopefullly upgrade my current comp

and on that site thats amazing i wouldnt of thought the 8600 would be so low haha

but im reallly interested in the dx10 games like bioshock and what not... i dunno should i jus ease myself over with a x1950 and a psu?

11. jackdw

jackdw

I would consider upgrading motherboard + RAM is you only have DDR1 and/or AGP. If you have DDR2 and PCI-E then just upgrading would be the better option at the moment.

12. hardstyle

hardstyle Thread Starter

i do only have ddr1 but whats the differance between the 2? is it really worth upgrade my mobo and ram Jus to have a comp that would run bioshock top notch?
    i dunno i jus upgraded my Ram like a week ago from 1 gb to 2gb witch cost me a hefty 86$
    not to expensive but considering the price of ddr2 its not that cheap.
    i Called my local memery express(1 of the top computor sales in calgary) The sales adviser told me if i wanted a top notch bioshock romping maching upgrade to a 550wat psu
    and a decent dx10 card I.E the 8600 he said if i want to keep up with the gaming i should go with a dx10 card. if i wanted to stay old school playing the sorce engine games witch still looks decent i should go for a x1600 or some wher along the lines..
    Confusing stuff i jus wish i had like 8grand to blow on a comp then id be happy lol

13. jackdw

jackdw

Hmmm, you should have considered DDR2 before buying the extra RAM. The difference is the only thing stopping me from getting another gb for this machine.
    DDR2 is basically next up from DDR1. It's a different type of chip and runs a lot faster.
    Fastest DDR1: PC3200
    Fastest DDR2: PC10,000

It's nearly 3 times faster. I only have a laptop with DDR2 but it seems a little nippier. I suppose it would only show it's full power in multitasking and boot times.

Consider it when you next have a wad of cash to spend on your PC. The CPU would be fine in a board with DDR2.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/608158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice