1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roses7806, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roses7806

roses7806 Thread Starter

Hi, I am new here. I am trying to get some help on upgrading my video card. I want something that will be good for games. I don't need something overly extravagent, just something that works.
    I have a Compaq Presario SR1303WM. According to the specs page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=product&product=447312&dlc=en&docname=c00280659 there are 3 PCI slots available and 1 AGP slot available. Does it matter which one I use?
    Does it matter what brand? Does it matter how many MB? There are so many out there, I dont know if only certain ones work for certain computers. Any help/advice would be wonderful.
    Thanks in advance!!! :confused:

2. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

You would be best using the AGP slot for graphics for many reasons.. (one being it is gesigned forit ;))

If you give us a bidget and an idea of the games you are wanting to run I can find one for you.

If you could also give me a preffered site that you can purchase of that would help loads, i will use either TigerDirect or New Egg otherwise (if you live in the US).

3. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Looking at the product specs you may have to also upgrade RAM to notice any difference in game performance :)

4. roses7806

roses7806 Thread Starter

(Im bringing this post back to life)

I still havent upgraded my video card yet. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the one I found would work on my computer:

VisionTek Radeon 256mb HD 2400 PRO Graphics Card. It has a PCI-Express connection.

Thanks in advance!!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, you need a video card with an AGP interface.

Plus the HD2400 is not a good gaming card. Goldfish92 asked a great question, which games do you intend to play? And whats the budget you have for the video card?

6. roses7806

roses7806 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am actually wanting to play second life. I also have a handful of games at home that are real choppy or do not work because of the video card.
    I dont really know how much cards run, but I am hoping to spend under 200.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. roses7806

roses7806 Thread Starter

Hi I am bringing this post back because I havent upgraded yet. I know some about computers but not alot. Someone gave me some parts from a dell computer that they had taken apart for parts. I do not know exactly what they are. This one is a NVIDIA GeForce2 mx. Is this something I can use in the compaq that I am trying to upgrade.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It'll work, but its older and not even close to performance to the other cards mentioned.

It is on the list of Minimum requirements for Second Life but Minimum shouldn't be what you should be aiming for.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice