1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JW9T69, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JW9T69

JW9T69 Thread Starter

I would like to get some opinions on upgrading my current 8mb vanta video card (mother board supports 4X AGP 2.0). I am not a gamer. I do alot of video conversion(dvd, mpeg 1 & 2, vcd, avi) and record from TV. I don't won't to spend more than about $100-$120. I mostly use Win XP and use 1024x768 @32bit on a 19" crt monitor. I am also planning to upgrade my CPU to an Athlon XP 1800 or faster.

2. RVickner1

RVickner1

Since you are not a gamer, I'd recommend a card that has the new SiS 315 chipset.. They are good quality card without the price of the Geforce family of cards, you can get one of these xards with 128mb sdram for under $50, using www.pricewatch.com.

3. stanggt2

stanggt2

the sis with 128 megs is a good card (I have one) but you might want to look at ATI all in wonder since you want record from the TV for the all in wonder has it built in and I think last time I looked on www.pricewatch.com they had one for about $115 with 32 megs of ram and I was thinking that it was ddr ram not sure thought

4. Morania

Morania

Run screaming from ATI cards.

5. stanggt2

stanggt2

I like the ATI cards they have NEVER give me trouble like the g-force or the tnt (i will not buy them again) just look on this site of all the people that has problems with these cards

6. Morania

Morania

I'm still clinging to my 3dfx gear, dude. Hate Ge and ATI. I have a box of nVidia and ATI (older models) in this closet to sell to unsuspecting board gamers. (Kidding)
    Tell you the truth, it's time I replace the Voodoo and I can't tell who has the most issues of the two hitters out there now. I'm just running and screaming in any direction.

7. Morania

Morania

By the way, what games are you playing with your ATI cards? It never fails that the titles I absolutely adore have had issue with Creative products.
    Oh yeah.
    The original question............ He's right. You don't need 3D acceleration but some of the color features on the new cards may be something you're interested in. Also look at the software that comes bundled with these cards as it usually has a tool window to tweak the colors and what not.

8. stanggt2

stanggt2

right now I am playing diablo II on a 4 meg ati card but I have played a wide range of games had a 32 meg tnt (pci) that did not fun as smooth as this 4 meg (agp)

9. Morania

Morania

I've been doing my reading (PC Gamer just reviewed the latest batch of cards) and in all the sites and article, the 64's were out-performing the 128's due to the bus speeds and the fact that although the games have passed the year old cards out, they aren't up to needing the 128m of mem yet. The best card for your dollar is supposed t be the GeForce 4-4200 at $169 (pricewatch). I think the constant posting of GeForce issues is (like another I'm following now) more to do with the knock-off cards, PNY, Pine Tech, and others. No matter which route you go, get the real deal.
    Another by the way. If JW is interested in the SiS set, Tiger has pretty good deals on those all the time.

10. carltasha

carltasha

the gforce 2 ti 200 is under 100 bucks and is good for anything , I run one on the most demanding games and it works well with my 1g athalon . i also run an old voodoo 5 on another comp , it is not as good , just not as clear .

11. bigcfromcinci

bigcfromcinci

if you get an ATI product..good luck on the driver issuses.Ati been notorious for lousy driver support.On the otherhand the visuals are usually better than the Nvidia products.An ATI wonder 32 meg would suit you just fine I believe.Seems ATI has gotten somewhat better lately..That figures..after I get rid of my 8500 I had :rolleyes:
    I have an Leadtek Ti500 and am really happy..but I game some here and there and it's prolly more than you need or want to spend.

12. Morania

Morania

Now that I'm shopping for my card, I find that the "knock-offs" I metioned are all that're out there. Gainward and Propixel being most common. NVidia is only selling chips then? I thought they were going to do their own marketing and distribution.

13. brianF

brianF

Nvidia only sells the chips, they don't distribute cards under their name

Best in my mind for the price, both cards overclock very well
    I also don't trust ATI driver support, they have to show me

Gforce3 TI 200
    Gforce4 TI 4200

On a side note Matrox is unvieling the G1000 on tuesday

Triple monitor support
    Twice the bandwidth of the gforce
    256meg of ddr memory

Not a clue on the price

But sorry to say once again the verdict is out until gaming benches are seen, as Matrox never could write an opengl driver worth a crap

14. XP-1800

XP-1800

Used to have a Voodoo 3500 tv out card (still have....tis in my desk drawer) and bought a s/h GeForce2 GTS ULTRA 64mb card.....and it runs well.......graphics and colours much richer and sharper than the voodoo card......which I reckon is a guddun anyway. Bought the card off ebay (no discs......ex Dell machine) and used detonator drivers off freebie pc mag disc, and then got latest drivers from Nvidia site.
    Pretty darn well pleased with it too....
    Just though I would share this with you all..........:)
    Running win98se/IE6/xp1800 on Abit kr7a (non raid) with 256mb ddr ram plus other bits to fill up the gaps in the pc case. Play Unreal Tournament a lot too.........Right no more rambling......
    :eek:

15. Gunner's Mate

Gunner's Mate

Sigh Anyone ask what he (or she) needs the vid card for?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/79078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice