1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mafsto, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mafsto

Mafsto Thread Starter

Good evening tech guys! How are you all doing? I hope the holiday season is treating you well.

I was wondering if I could get some technical advice regarding my video card. Long story short, a dust bunny was lodged in the fan for some time. While this did not stop the fan completely, it slowed it down enough that the card has taken some heat damage. I can tell due to the fact that I had turn down some of the settings for a couple of my computer games that used to function just fine. Now, the fan is making whirring sounds. I'm scared to possibly think that the card may be dying and am considering that this may be a good time to replace/upgrade it.

My problem is that I only know the bare basics of video cards. I will provide the information that I think you need in order to assess this situation. I am also providing pictures of the inside of my computer in case a visual aid is necessary. I will be uploading these pics to this post and offering a link to photobucket. If any of you could also recommend an appropriate video card that will work as a decent upgrade, I would be very much obliged. I play WoW and Team Fortress 2, I have wondered what those games would look like on medium to high settings. As a side note, my monitor can hook into a DVI or HDMI slot.

Here is a link to the inside pictures of my comp. This includes the power source. http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/nn380/Maror/Video card/

Computer

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company
    Model: a6567c
    Processor: see below
    RAM: 4 GB
    system type: 64-bit operating system
    Power source: 300w (I could be wrong and read the wrong part of the hardware sticker)

Graphics Card

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
    Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 2)
    DirectX version: 11.0
    GPU processor: GeForce 9300 GE
    Driver version: 258.96
    CUDA Cores: 8
    Core clock: 540 MHz
    Shader clock: 1300 MHz
    Memory clock: 500 MHz (1000 MHz data rate)
    Memory interface: 64-bit
    Total available graphics memory: 2047 MB
    Dedicated video memory: 256 MB DDR2
    System video memory: 0 MB
    Shared system memory: 1791 MB
    Video BIOS version: 62.98.22.00.41
    IRQ: 16
    Bus: PCI Express x16

A big thank you to anyone who decides to lend me a hand. And to those of you just passing through, Happy Holidays!

Attached Files:

2. Kratos011

Kratos011

so you want to upgrade to something affordable am i right, but then you want it to be good enough to play games so you don't get angry at the lag ;D.

okay so here is what i am going to recommend you do to help us out in helping you get an upgraded graphics card for your system. good thing is that you have included your specifications, but something to keep in mind is that since that is a standard PSU, it will have a hard time or shall i say, at times it could possibly not be able to supply a good graphics card with enough power, specially since you are using a Quad Core processor, Vista and 4gb of ram.

Now that would mean that you may need to upgrade your power supply and another thing you could do is that tell us what kind of budget you are under. Are you restricted or are you willing to spend a fair amount or.... are you willing to go all out.

From me, i think an upgrade that would suit a medium budget would be to get a 9800gtx or something close to that, is you are only playing those kinds of games. this card would also be able to play games like COD 4, COD 4 MW2, NFS titles and etc.

So please get back to us so that we are able to get back to you with a more in depth answer to your question.

Thanks Mafsto
    Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Sanil

3. Mafsto

Mafsto Thread Starter

Kratos,

Thank you for the response sir! Well my budget is pretty decent. I have about $300-$500 dollars saved up for my own spending. How does my outlook look?

4. Kratos011

Kratos011

Hi,
    Well thanks for letting me know. To be honest, that is a very good budget to shop for graphics cards with, but as i said earlier, i think it would be a smart choice to get a new PSU aswell with the GPU so there aren't any problems in the future concerning this. Now i think spending a good 200-300 dollars on the GPU itself and then spending 150-200 on the PSU.

Now to be more precise, a GPU i would recommend for you beacause you have such a worthy CPU and other components is the GTX 460 768mb DDR5 or the GTS 450 1gb DDR5. both these cards are tremendously well performing and are known for their good overclockability (y). they should be within the price range i suggested. i will give you links to them here:

GTX 460
    http://www.galaxytech.com/en/productview.aspx?id=334

GTS 450
    http://www.galaxytech.com/en/productview.aspx?id=335

Now when you look at these, remember it would be a good choice to buy from Galaxy as their cards retain their warranty if you overclock or do any other altering from its oringinal trait. this is very good to get more performance out of it, whilst not risking your warranty.

Either one of these cards should have you sorted for a great while and you probably will not need to upgrade for a decent amount of time.

Now for the power supply, i think that you should get one of these two:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=196
    or
    http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5924

so you could choose from one of these, and they should also be in the price range that i recommended.

So provided these speifics, please reply back to tell me what you think of this or do you need something else.

Thanks

Sanil Sharma

5. Mafsto

Mafsto Thread Starter

Those look like good options. But those video cards require PCI Express x16 2.0. I have just PCI Express x16, at least according to the graphics card report. How do I know if it can support 2.0?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice