1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card/video card driver issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zaxnir, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaxnir

Zaxnir Thread Starter

So I've owned this alienware m17x r3 (Intel Core i7-2670QM // Radeon HD 6870M // 4 GB DDR3) for about 5 months now, and just recently it has started crashing immediately on startup, either when it reaches the login page for windows or soon after. There is no BSOD, I've used WhoCrashed and made sure dump files are enabled and nothing comes up. I've tried installing several different versions of AMD's drivers for the HD 6870M I have but none work. I've run a system diagnostic test through advanced startup options and there are no errors.

It works fine with no drivers installed or if I boot in safe mode, but I am at my wit's end here trying to get my system back in to working order. I've already tried reinstalling a fresh version of windows 7, and fully cleaning my drivers and reinstalling them and nothing is a permanent fix. I have gotten 2 blue screens, both of which were 0x7E, with the cause being the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys file, but as I am just learning the ropes of this stuff I have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Time to call Dell and get it warranty serviced, if you reloaded Windows and it still persists then its a hardware issue that needs to be addressed/repaired by the manufacturer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice