1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BiggerBen, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

hi. i recently purchased a geforce4, and when i put it into the machine, the computer will not post.

however, if i swap the card out and put my old one back in, it works fine.

i am positive that my system meets the minimum requirements to run this card.

anyone have any ideas?

- biggerBen :)

2. dud

dud Guest

What was your old card?
    Are both it and the new one the same fitting, ie either PCI or AGP?
    If they are different you will need to change the bios setting for initial video device anyway. If they are the same it migt be that you need to completely uninstall/remove the old one and then install the updated drivers for the new one. Does your PC boot to safe mode?
    What other spec can you tell us?

:cool:

3. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

i upgraded from a geforce 2 mx 440 to a geforce 4 ti4600. both were agp.

there is no way i can boot into safe mode, seeing as how i cannot boot at all. i get no beep codes or anything. no signal is sent to the monitor at any time.

i uninstalled the windows drivers, powered down, put in the new card, then the computer refuses to boot. did i skip a step somewhere?

4. dud

dud Guest

Just a thought but double check you have seated the new one in the slot firmly?
    Failing that pu the old one back, reboot and then go through the procedure again.
    You will need to set your display adaptor to vga first
    Open "My Computer"
    Control Panel
    Display
    Properties
    Settings
    Advanced
    Adapter
    Click Change
    Click Next
    Change selection to display a list of all the drivers etc
    Click Next
    Change Selection to Show all Hardware
    Now scroll to the top of the list and select Standard Display Adapter
    Follow the prompts.
    Before rebooting, remove the old card and re-insert the new one and re-boot.

Hopefully that will then find new hardware. Have your new driver disk ready.

Did you do it this way before?

5. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

hmm..nope

i just uninstalled the drivers/adapter using add/remove programs in the control panel, then put the new card in. i'll give that a shot.

6. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

i don't see an option for "CHANGE" under the adapter settings. i am running win2k, would it be somewhere else?

7. dud

dud Guest

Not really familiar with win2k but I can't see that would make a difference.
    What happens if you leave your old settings intact, turn off, change card and then reboot? DOes that give you graphics? You should be able to uninstall and install new then?
    Failing that, try this helpful site:
    http://www.videocardupgrade.com/change_display_adapter.shtml

8. BiggerBen

BiggerBen Thread Starter

nope...i'm pretty sure the card is dead. i just tried it in my friends computer and the exact same symptoms occur (no signal to monitor on boot, no post, no beeps). i guess i am going to have to return the card

thanks for your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice