Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

video card wont work

823 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  stanggt2 
#1 ·
I run xp pro and installed an ati all-in-wonder radeon graphics card. My bios and the windows startup page appeared but when the desktop was supposed to appear it went black. I have onboard video, but when installed, Bios detects the graphics card and the vga bridge and makes it primary. However, the graphics card is 32 mb ddr and i have sdram in my system, would that matter? Please help if you can. thanks
James Jones

#4 ·
well i can't really find the onboard video card in both bios and the device manager. I don't really know what it would be. and yeah i did plug the monitor in. also if i install the video card but leave the monitor pluged into the regular monitor jack i don't see anything at all not even the bios page. so i'm pretty sure it automatically disables the onboard.

#5 ·
What type of mother board are you using? There should be an option to disable onboard video in bios. What type of chipset is the onbaoard video. It sounds like the problem has to do with this. If you take the card out, is youi on board video working? Is it possible to put you vcard in another machine to test it.
Let us know how things are going,
Hamill

#7 ·
amerbios is my bios. i've looked there but nothin really looks like it's the oonboard vid. and when i remove the new video card and restart it the onboard switches back over. i did put it in my friends computer and it works fine, he runs windows 2k. personally i believe it has to do with windows xp. however xp dosen't allow an older version of windows to replace it. so formating becomes a problem, on top of that the startup disk that xp makes dosen't allow for formating either. i just downloaded an xp startup disk from microsoft that seems like it should work. hopefully it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.