1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Rogerl, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogerl

Rogerl Thread Starter

I hope I am in the right forum for this question. If not, please let me know. I would like to ad a second monitor to my system. I have an older computer that is doing everything I want. It is a Pen 2 333 MHz and I am running win 98 SE with 320 MB of SDRAM. I think the best way to go is to buy a new video card that will support two monitors as I only have one AGP slot that currently holds my video card. I am finding it confusing choosing the right card. I don’t want to get something that will not work with my older system or has features I don’t need or can’t use. The main reason I want two monitors is that I like to do more than one think on line at a time and this would help. I already have a second monitor so it would only require the cost of the card. I figure I can do this for less that $100, but I just don’t know which card to get. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger
    :confused:

2. Rockn

Rockn

Get the same type as the one you are currently running. If the current one works you probably won't have any compatibility issues.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most PCI video cards will work, there are compatability issues with some types however. MS have a list of compatable cards somewhere - just can't locate it at the moment.

Low-end PCI cards are an economic way to do this. Check that your motherboard hasn't already got on-board video as well, as if that could be enabled nothing else would be needed.
    Personally I would look to a 4 or 8 MB PCI card. Very cheap, and doesn't require replacement of your AGP card.

I have successfully used a Geoforce 2 MX PCI card, 32 MB in conjunction with on-board video, and also with a Geoforce 4 MX 460 AGP card.

Presently I use a GF 4, MX 460 with one monitor on the VGA output, and one on the DVI output. My new LCD monitors can accept DVI, but if you use a VGA/DVI card you will need a DVI-VGA adapter if your monitors will not take DVI input.

Most higher spec cards have dual output, but usually DVI/VGA. Dual VGA are available, you may need to look a bit more though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice