1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card

Discussion in 'Games' started by rbusch, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbusch

rbusch Thread Starter

heres the problem
    was playin a game after i installed a new video card. computer froze and loud beep. turnt the computer off then back on and only the fan comes on. i waited a while and tired again and i booted into safe mode and used the on board video. whats my problem can anyone help

2. Techno_Snoop

Techno_Snoop

What video card are you using? What operating system? What kind of power supply? What game? How much ram? Basically we will need much more info to solve this problem.

3. rbusch

rbusch Thread Starter

Ati Radeon 256 mb Pci 64 MB intergrade video xp pro dell dimension
    processor p4 2ghz
    1GB of memory

4. Techno_Snoop

Techno_Snoop

When you put the new card in did you unistall the old one?(drivers and whatnot)

5. Techno_Snoop

Techno_Snoop

When you put the new card in did you uninstall the old one?(drivers and whatnot)

6. nickelodeon

nickelodeon

dont jump to any conclusion but sounds like u fried it. Same beeping thing hapend to me but that was because i put to strong ram for my mobo and it fried and it made random beeping noises.

Anyway dont get ur hopes down theres more of a chance u didnt fry it :D.

7. obvious

obvious

mabye, but could be naff irq s and the like. its hardware for certain.

what kind of radeon card is it? what connection? agp, pci express, pci, or what?
    im just praying that you didnt force it into the wrong kind of slot!

####
    EDIT
    ####

no, its not irq problems, it could be overheating. run the pc with the side of the case off, and report back.

8. mlautens

mlautens

If you say you were playing a game with this new card after installing it, then we can assume the card WAS functioning - if even for a brief time.

ATI Radeon cards with 256MB of memory can mean a couple things. Some of the models with that much memory are their higher performance gaming cards, and all of THEM require a connection from the power supply. Does yours? Did you connect one? The cards will stupidly run in a half-assed manner without the power connection, or at least they have in my experience. I supposed they do so that if the power connector is BAD, you still get some kind of video to troubleshoot with.

It could simply be that the card went bad. High performance video cards introduce some cooling issues. If your case is airflow challenged, it can cook a video card. PC Power and Cooling systems makes a nifty little "fan on a PCI card" that you can stick in the slot next to the video card and get better airflow. I have one old case where I needed to do that in order to get my NVIDIA card down to a decent temp.

That's my $.02 at the moment. :)

9. Topato

Topato

Not all 256mb radeons require a external power connector. I used to have a Radeon 9200 256mb :)

10. mlautens

mlautens

That, sir, was why I specifically said "SOME of the models." If you need to refresh your memory, the original message remains unedited. :p

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice