1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jcaleno, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcaleno

Jcaleno Thread Starter

My system:

Xp home
    600 mhz P3
    384 RAM
    120GB HDD

My V card port is agp and It has a 16mb 2x in it. now, what is the "2X" about and how high can I go? I've see v cards that are 8X. I need to upgrade but my motherboard is OEM and has no info on it. so I dont know what it can support. So,

If It came with a 2x, does it mean I can go as high as 4X? also, how much memory would be the max?

2. thechanmane

thechanmane

Well, as far as how high can you go; that strictly depends on the motherboard, and there's no accurate way for us to predict how high you can go without this information. You can try taking a look at the physical board and see if it has any branding (very seldom would a manufacturer not brand their board) or model number and we can use that to find your specs.

At any rate, the amount of memory your video card can handle is only affected by the amount that the video card can process. Basically, there are no limits on video memory. There are, however, limits on the capabilities of video card imposed by its architecture. In other words, as long as the AGP interface (2X, 4X, 8X) is compatible, the amount of memory will also be compatible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice