1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flybynight, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flybynight

flybynight Thread Starter

My friend bought a new system. During delivery, it was apparently dropped. Big dent in the case. Problem is when the AGP slot is used, computer will not start up. ATI all in wonder. Will boot up with PCI card. AGP card works fine in other computer. He is thinking it is probably the slot, or maybe a BIOS problem. Any ideas? Thanks. Fly

AMD 1600XP Athlon, Windows XP

2. FlaFoci

FlaFoci

I would send it back.

3. flybynight

flybynight Thread Starter

Well folks, got it to work. He believes it was a BIOS setting. Can't really explain it. It just works now. Sorry I can't be more specific. Fly

4. deuce

deuce

I think if the AGP settings in the bios are wrong the card won't boot, so that could have done it. (i.e. AGP apperature size wrong, fsb wrong which will send wrong frequency to AGP bus and PCI bus--but then the PCI shouldn't have worked, ect) Good to see yoiu guys got it working... but I would recomend sending it back anyway. Sure you will have to wait a few days... but who knows, if it were dropped there could be other damage to it that you don't know about it yet. Was there a HD shipped with the computer when it was dropped? If so I would definately send it back anyway. Also... just because of the fact that it has a huge dent that I didn't put there, and there can potentially other more serious problems that would pursuade me to send it back for a new one. ...just a though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice