1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video cards

Discussion in 'Games' started by aavion, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aavion

aavion Thread Starter

Hi, I'm purchasing a Dell computer soon. It comes with a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache video card. I was just wondering if this is a good enough video card for gaming, like CS, BF2, etc. What's the difference between a 256 and a 512 MB video card? Is it worth the money?

There's also a possibility of upgrading to a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS for $160. I think that's a bit overpriced, right?

Thanks in advance

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

Is that the desktop or laptop?

In either regard, the 7900 GS will be far superior for gaming.

3. aavion

aavion Thread Starter

It's the desktop, Dimension 9150 to be exact.

How will the video card be better? Graphics wise, speed, etc?

Thanks for the help!

4. CDBongo

CDBongo

The 7300le turbo cache will be okay for gaming with bf2 and cs:s, as long as you have 1gb ram and a good cpu (at least a 3ghz p4 or athlon 3200+)
    BUT
    You will most likely have to run the games at lowest resolutions and all settings and detail set at low to medium.
    The 7900gs is a laptop video card, so i guess that it would be comparable to other cards that are in the 7900 line, so i'd say it's a good card and worth the extra 160, which is about the price of a 7600gt.

5. CDBongo

CDBongo

from what i see the card is pretty similar to the 7600gt, which is a good card, it would give you very good gaming performance, it will most definately let you run cs:s at highest resolutions and settings (with a gig of ram and good cpu of course)

6. Smety

Smety

No it's not actually . . .

Go with the 7900GS, you will be so much happier with it!

7. aavion

aavion Thread Starter

Yeah, the computer has 1 Gig of RAM. Only 2.8 Ghz though. So I guess it's worth it for the extra $160, eh? Thanks guys :)

EDIT: Oh, another thing. There's also an option to add an AGEIA Physics Accelerator for $249. What do those do, and is it worth the money?

Oh yeah, and if I upgrade to 2 Gigs of RAM, will that improve gaming performance by a lot?

Thanks

8. Kramer55

Kramer55

From what I have heard, the Physics Accelerators are not worth the money.
    Instead of getting the accelerator, spend the money on the 2 GB of RAM.

9. acameron

acameron

Do yourself a favor.......build your own PC or at least buy a custom built PC from a PC shop near you or from one online. You will be much happier in the long run.

You will be able to pick exactly what hardware you want and you will be able to upgrade it in the future instead of buying a whole new PC, which is what you will end up doing with that Dell or any other big name brand PC like Dell, HP, Sony and the rest of them.

Dell (and the others) use allot of proprietary parts that may well cause problems when you go to upgrade in the future (or if something breaks after the warranty runs out). A home built or custom PC will be all standardized parts that will be upgradable by you in the future, with your pick of parts and prices. Not parts and prices that are limited by the fact that the only place to get them is from Dell.

If you really want the Dell then by all means go ahead and buy it, just wanted to let you know you would be better off building or buying a custom PC, especially if what you are buying for is gaming.

If you are dead set on getting the Dell, then for gaming purposes the 7900 is the card you want, that 7300 Turbo Cache card is a budget card and is not meant for any kind of high end gaming. Also, 1GB of RAM is rapidly becoming the recommended amount for current games and will soon be the minimum amount of RAM needed for future games...Go with the 2GB.

10. acameron

acameron

Where are you buying this Dell from? Online? If so, I do not even see a 9150 offered on their website? Could you post a link to it please?

11. aavion

aavion Thread Starter

12. acameron

acameron

I did find it finally....with the 7900GS card and the 2GB of RAM with the 2.8GHz Dual Core processor what does the final price come to?

13. aavion

aavion Thread Starter

$1119.

14. acameron

acameron

when I put that setup togetther with the 7900, 2.8GHz CPU and the 2GB or RAM the final price I get is $2,087.36.

Here is a setup with the Dual Core 2.8GHz CPU, 7900GT Graphics card and 2GB of Corsair XMS2 Performance RAM for $1,447, that includes a 17 Flat panel monitor, SLI ready Motherboard and Power Supply (the abilty to use 2 graphics cards at the same time) and 3 year warranty. Also, a 5.1 channel speaker set-up.

So, if you do have $2,00 + dollars to spend on a PC you could bunp the processor up to a 3.4GHz Dual Core and add another 7900GT graphics card to utilize the SLI capabilities (if you are looking for a high end gaming rig) and get a bigger LCD monitor.......oh that is also with a dual layer DVD burner and a 16x DVD Rom drive and 160GB hard drive.

Here is the list of components at $1,440

$1447.00
    (before all applicable rebates)

CASE: Raidmax Sagitta Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side Panel Window (BLACK COLOR)

Power Supply: Enermax 535W SLI Ready

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® D 920 Dual-Core CPU @ 2.8GHz 800FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache EM64T

MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset LGA775 1066FSB DDR2/667

SATA Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (4x512MB) PC5300 DDR2/667 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)

VIDEO CARD: SPECIAL!!! NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

VIDEO CARD 2: NONE

LCD Monitor: ViewSonic Q7B 17" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display Monitor (BLACK Only)

HARD DRIVE: SPECIAL!!! 160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

Hard Drive 2: NONE

Optical Drive: (Special Price) 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Go Here to check it out......

15. acameron

acameron

ok I went there to check it out again...do you realize that for that price you are not getting any speakers?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice