1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Clip Format to DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by playsBlues4u, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. playsBlues4u

playsBlues4u Thread Starter

I understand that there is a program called Divx-to-Dvd which converts Video Clips to Video_TS file structures. The problem is that I have 100s of hours of video I need to convert over from Video Clip format.

Is the Video Clip format just another way of saying mpeg2 or something? Or does the Video Clip format reflect Divx? either way, thats not my question, so nevermind that..

Dvix-to-Dvd takes far too long; it would take me more than 48 hours to convert all these files if it's all I did for two days straight. Is there an easier way to get these Video Clip files to go on a DVD that I can play in a DVD player?

Also, Dvix-to-Dvd makes individual DVD structures for each Video Clip file I convert. It should take approx 20 video clips to fill each DVD space-wise. I wonder how I'll be able to organize those 20 individual file structures to fit on a single DVD and be able to choose which to watch from a menu.

I'd like suggestions for both the coherent organization of multiple VideoTS structures into a single dvd AND a faster or better way to convert Video Clip files into VideoTS structures. Please! This is eating up nearly half of my hard drive (@25 gigs total) and I need to get it off my computer so I'll have some space! Recommend programs and methods galore! please!

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

The best thing you could do is get hold of a DVD authoring program. You would place all your clips (I assume they are .avi) onto the time line back to back---convert to mpeg, then burn the DVD. I use the Sony product, DVD Architect but they have a cheaper one. The process takes a long time, and is often dependent upon the power of your processor etc.

Check out this product: http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=977

3. playsBlues4u

I still need help if anyone would be so kind
    I got the trial for that DVD architect program

the videos I'm wanting to make a DVD from are in a format called simply Video Clip. I can't make windows call it anything else or display an extension. In any case, DVD Architect won't recognize it as a suitable media file and I therefore can't make it convert or essentially do anything but sit there. Should I hunt for a program that will convert my Video Clip files to .Avi? Will Architect help me from there?

I have literally hundreds of these Video Clip files and all I want to do is be able to watch them on a DVD player. is there no hope? shall I resign to converting each one with Dvix-2-DVD which takes 40 minutes a piece? and if so, what do I do with all those separate Video_TS folders that will be created? can dvd architect help me in my situation? so far Divx-to-dvd is looking more promising as a means of conversion, but I really wish there were a way to speed things up.

thanks for your help and all future help
    (assuming somebody will please gimmie some)
    - mike

4. linskyjack

linskyjack

I have been doing this professionaly for years, and have never heard of a format called Video Clip---Where are these clips from--how were they acquired (from a video camera, from the Internet etc.) Divx would take a long tie because you are doing a ton of compression and that takes forever.

5. playsBlues4u

this was an unnecissairy post

6. playsBlues4u

got it. they are .avi files. So I guess I should be asking, how do I get .avi files to write to a dvd in some coherent manner? Am I asking architect to do the wrong thing? Should I be able to do it just like you said, by dragging the files to the timeline? It doesn't work yet, but I can certainly have a field day playing with Sony's settings until you reply.

thanks a million, hope you can help me

--edit
    in messing with architect, it would appear that I am able to add the video to the project and access it from the menu in Preview mode. (f9) I hear the audio but there is no video. When viewing the file in architect's explorer, I am told its 'video stream attributes could not be determined.'

you said something about converting the .avi's to .mpeg's before they would work, even with architect, right? well thats what I'll be trying to do till somebody replies. =]

hope that helps you help me

7. linskyjack

linskyjack

Thats better----okay, the first thing you need to do is convert the avi files to mpegs-that means you need a program that can handle that conversion. I use Vegas and DVD Architect but I believe you dont get the codec unless you buy the product, so thats why it didn't work. I dont know of any free convertors that do the job---so I recommend that you buy Vegas Movie Studio---with DVD. (89.00 bucks retail). That gives you a simple program to edit your avi's (just put them on the timeline and do your thing.) and then a nice little DVD authoring program that converts the avi files to mpeg and lets you create your DVD. Remember, the process can be slow---most people I know allow their computer to compress files to mpeg over night. Unless you have a very expensive hardware decoder, it will take a while.

8. playsBlues4u

O but that is depressing news! its gonna take aaages! thanks a lot for all the advice just the same!

if I do each one overnight its gonna take waaay longer than the trial period, so I'm not gettin out for free. =]

9. nbacura

nbacura

I have a similar issue, except the video plays for me, it's the audio that gives the message stream attributes could not be determined. The strange thing is, when I first got the program (DVD architect) it worked fine and I was able to create DVDs. Then I re-installed my OS and when I installed DVD architect, both video and audio attirbutes could be determined...then I ended up un-installing divx, xvid, etc and re-installing in a different order, now the video is there, but not audio. Is there some things I should be installing such as divx, etc? All the movies play on my PC with windows media player no problem...

10. nbacura

nbacura

So I just un-installed divx, xvid, 3xvid and both video and audio attributes can't be determined....I'll re-install each one at a time and determine which ones dvd architect needs.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice