Video clip sound not playing on TVs

isjheatherlea

Help please! I recently had the first of several VHS family videos transferred to CD and USB stick. The latter plays fine on my laptop but having tried it on both our TVs there is no sound. I played around with sound settings on our main TV (Digihome) but no joy. The CD does not play sound through that TV either while other CDs play fine (bought not home-made). I just tried the USB on our second TV (Finlux) but it immediately says 'audio version not supported' or words to that effect. I've been unable to try the CD anywhere else yet as my new laptop has no DVD drive. I don't want to risk paying to convert more tapes until I can get the audio issue resolved. Do you think the problem lies with our TVs (a few years old) or the file type (MPG). I was contemplating buying the kit to try convert the remaining VHS tapes myself, but this has given me cold feet. I'd appreciate any advice you can give. I'm 64 and sort of mediocre tech-savvy. Thanks.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried uploading to YouTube and playing from there to your TV ???

isjheatherlea

Have you tried uploading to YouTube and playing from there to your TV ???
Thanks Jay, that sounds like a great idea so I'm trying it now. However the original VHS tape was 1 hour long and the USB file is 3.53 GB, do you think that might still work? All my other VHS tapes are I think 180 or 240 mins so not sure if that will be too much to load to YouTube.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
My YT uploads are usually 1.5 > 2.0 hours ... 2K format ... It'll fit
Can you load to Google Drive ???
I use Adobe Premier Elements ... To process my VHS rips.

isjheatherlea

My YT uploads are usually 1.5 > 2.0 hours ... 2K format ... It'll fit
Can you load to Google Drive ???
I use Adobe Premier Elements ... To process my VHS rips.
Thanks again. When I said I am 'mediocre tech savvy' that may have been a stretch of the imagination :ROFLMAO:. I have stuff saved on Onedrive and in ICloud. I've used Googledrive before at work (although they've moved away from it). Should I cut/copy and paste it to Googledrive and do YT upload from there instead of USB? My upload is still only sitting at11% but I guess that could be our broadband speed out in the sticks. Just tested it @ 0.06 Mb/s cf. 18.27 Mb/s download speed. I just looked at moving it to Googledrive and said it would take over 8 hours so I guess I should just keep the YT upload running and cross my fingers :unsure:

Last edited:

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Good Idea.
This is the second time I've heard of a "Manufactured" DVD not playing ...
The first was Walgreens.
I was just wondering If I could Fix it ... And could you get it to me ??
I'm only Tech Savvy enough to get in trouble :LOL: ... But I have lots of Software

isjheatherlea

Thanks for the offer, will bear in mind. The upload stalled at 34%. I'm going to try something else. I already managed to extract a small clip from the video for Facebook. I'm going to try uploading that to Youtube and see if the audio plays on TV. If that works I'll persevere editing it down into smaller chunks. It certainly sounds like a great way of sharing with other family members. Thanks again for your help meantime.

isjheatherlea

Thanks for the offer, will bear in mind. The upload stalled at 34%. I'm going to try something else. I already managed to extract a small clip from the video for Facebook. I'm going to try uploading that to Youtube and see if the audio plays on TV. If that works I'll persevere editing it down into smaller chunks. It certainly sounds like a great way of sharing with other family members. Thanks again for your help meantime.
I've successfully uploaded a short clip to my Youtube channel but can't figure out from the TV app? It looks like I would have to subscribe to the channel but can't find out how to do that either or whether it costs much? Neither of our tellies is a Smart TV, we access Youtube via the Sky app.

isjheatherlea

SUCCESS! I've managed to link my phone to the TV and watched the clip with sound! So now I'll get to work on editing the video down into a number of shorter clips. Thanks again for this suggestion!

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
INTERESTING .... Did someone play Basketball ???????
How/where did you get this converted ??
I would have converted the VHS to a computer file with THIS
Then edited the video with Adobe Premier Elements ... and have it make a DVD.
Probably also made a 720 x 480 video file for YT.
720 x 480 is the resolution of a VHS ... no sense going higher than the source.

isjheatherlea

Thanks for that, my late Mum 34 years ago entertaining our daughter, she didn't play basketball that I know of but you're not the first to ask haha! It was done at a small shop in Perth doing VHS-DVD transfer as a sideline, cost £10 per hour. I've seen various places offering postal service on Ebay but am nervous of posting the original VHS tapes and losing them in the post. I think I'm probably getting out of my depth with this but certainly having issues uploading the large original file to both Youtube and Googledrive, I guess due to lack of bandwidth, slow upload speed. What I'm trying to find now is a basic video cutter to cut the footage into smaller sections, preferably with no watermark. I really don't want to spend money on software only to find its too complex for me to use.

isjheatherlea

Thanks for all your help on this but I've established that the main issue is our dreadful broadband speed, so I must get onto Sky! At my daughter's house the whole original video (52 mins, 3.53 GB) uploaded to both Googledrive and Youtube in under 5 minutes. I just did a speed test and she gets 42 download and 27 upload compared to ours 18 down and 0.06 up!! The CD made from the VHS also plays audio on her TV, so I guess that issue lies with our older TV sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online