1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video corruption even in boot screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jerry424, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jerry424

jerry424 Thread Starter

Hey all, I recently inherited a computer case from neighbor, and decided to build a retro gaming machine. Currently it's a PIII Tualatin 1.26Ghz on a D815EEA2, 512 MB, 2 Voodoo2's in SLI, and a Aureal Vortex 2 running on Win98SE. All is well enough when using the integrated video, but when I tried to add in an old ATI all-in-wonder 8500, things got weird. There are vertical lines of black dashes in the boot and start up screens. At the desktop the problem was even worse, with new artifacts popping in, following the mouse. After loading the drivers, the desktop is fine, but the problem shows up again whenever there is an overlay in use or when running a 3D app. DX7 tests under dxdiag show the cube "smearing" under DX7, and sparkle artifacts under DX8 and 9. I swapped in a 8500LE and got the same results. I'm wondering if the motherboard is the issue, or perhaps the power supply, as it's only 200W. The AIW worked fine in this mobo previously under XP, but it and the mobo have been boxed for a year or two. Any troubleshooting ideas?

2. aly369

aly369

try re setting the bios

3. jerry424

jerry424 Thread Starter

Did that. Downloaded and reflashed. No joy. Also, the only settings in the bios are either AGP or PCI. No mem settings to play with or anything else. It does detect a 4x card in there, though. I bet my stupid AGP slot is hosed.

4. aly369

aly369

try the graphics cards in a diifrent mothebroad if they work then your pci slot is dead :(

5. jerry424

jerry424 Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought about that, but that wouldn't help if the power supply is just not getting enough voltage to the AGP slot. I suppose I could just move the mobo into my other case (400 watt) and see what happens. Dang I was hoping for less work than that.;)

6. aly369

aly369

yea try that well sometimes you think oh yea a 2 second job then you realise it a LOT longer :p

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice