1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video crash

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wolfworx, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Has anyone else had a similar problem.

I had a problem with a video crash requiring a reboot when some programs ( MS Cinemania 97 for one) were run.

This problem was not hardware related. I replaced the hard disk with another and installed Win 98, the problem did not occur.

I experimented with the video drivers and found the solution.

VMM32.VXD found in the win98 windows/system directory was apparently corrupted causing th crashes. There is no diagnostic of which I am aware that could detect the cause of the video failure. Re-installing Win 98 over the existing OS did not overwrite the defective file.

I installed Win 98 on another Hard disk and discovered that the video crash did not occur. I saved VMM32.VXD from
    that install and later copied it back (in DOS prompt) to the original OS install. Problem gone!

Final thought. If similar problems occur in Win XP, methods such as the one I used here to discover and correct a problem would probably be impossible. Don't we just love Microsoft?
    :rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice