1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

? Video crashed, "out of range" issue, can't fix Drivers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AirDave, Nov 27, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

I posted this on the AMD forum yesterday, assuming it might be a more relevant group,
    but I am not holding out for a quick response.
    A previous altercation on that forum showed me that they are a tight group
    and don't help anyone who doesn't conform strictly to forum rules.
    (I neglected to include the amount of my system memory in a post about Radeon software self-installer
    and got reamed out royally...and no help with my problem!)

My current issue...

Updated my Radeon Adrenalin a few days ago...v. 18.11.1 I think?
    ...had an issue during installation, so I cancelled it.
    Still, got a message saying the software was partially installed and everything seemed to work.
    I decided to reinstall and all went okay.

Jump ahead to yesterday...playing World of Warships...and the video crashes during a match.
    Get a gray screen...kind of like TV snow...and a mild squealing sound.
    After a few moments, the screen goes black and I get the "D-Sub...Out of Range...193.1kHz / 53Hz" error message.

I tried rebooting the PC, but thats all I get now.
    Black screen with the Out of range message.
    So, I wondered if it was related to the Radeon update and I decided to somehow get in and uninstall the Radeon software.
    But I cannot even boot into Safe Mode...same black screen, out of range error.

So, I am forced to dismantle the case and remove the R7-370 and reboot the system using the motherboard graphics.

Then I uninstalled whatever I could see in the Control panel for AMD and then put the Video Card back in...
    but still won't boot to anything but that black screen and Out of range message.

Removed the card again, went back to the Motherboard setup.
    Computer is running...but now Windows wants to do a bunch of updates,
    even though I had auto updates turned off
    and I can't get the system to recognize my monitor (will only give me very basic resolutions)...
    if I manually choose other resolutions, I get "Out of Range" screens again (all showing different screen rates)

I decide to wait, and let windows do its thing with updates.
    After Windows updates are complete...the basic Windows driver kicked in to give me proper screen res! yay
    But i am still on motherboard graphics ...

Is my R7-370 Video Card screwed? (a little over 2 years old),
    or is this a Radeon software thing...and what do I do next?
    Or...Is something else damaged?
    Any advice? (Thanks)

Desktop PC Windows 7 64 Bit
    AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor
    M5A78L-M/USB3 mainboard Rev X.0x Bios 1801
    8Gb RAM
    Strix Radeon R7-370 4Gb
    Radeon Adrenalin 18.9.3 currently uninstalled
    27" LG IPS Monitor

2. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

Follow up...

I got the PC running okay today, albeit on motherboard graphics.
    All windows updates applied...some windows repairs?...and I installed the AMD Utility to remove all AMD software.
    Once I did that, and rebooted the system, Windows reinstalled the basic driver for my monitor.
    1920 x1080 is working fine, and the system is running fine.

Just now...shut it all down...reinstalled the R7-370 Card.
    Figured I would boot as like the very first time I installed this card and then install the last known good Radeon Adrenalin software.

But...upon boot up, Windows loads and runs okay...but my screen is black with the D-SUB Out of range message.
    (I notice the kHz rates are different than the earlier message, does that matter?)
    I tried booting up in Safe mode, but I get the same thing. You can hear that Windows has booted, but the screen is black with the error message.

Does this mean the Card itself has failed? or what do i do?

Attachments Photo 1 is the original error screen...and photo 2 is todays error screen

Attached Files:

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If your monitor is model number 27MP38VQ-B, according to LG the "Refresh Rate" is "75Hz".

4. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

Not exactly...my monitor is LG 27mp37 IPS LED
    ...and I have had it running at 59, 60 and 75.
    I know this from changes that occurred in the past with World of Warships and updated Radeon software.

But so what?...(not trying to be snotty)...with respect, how does knowing the refresh rate of the monitor help me?
    I haven't manually changed the refresh rate to cause this problem.
    And I can't get in with the card installed...to make any sort of changes, like change the refresh rate.
    And as you can see, in the second photo in the last post, since reinstalling the video card, the Out of Range numbers have changed.

current video settings are below...not that it has much bearing on things.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Your error messages show "D-SUB - Out of Range" and then either a "143Hz" or "53Hz", both of which are "Out of Range". According to LG, model 27MP37HQ[/u] has a "Refresh Rate" of "60Hz".

6. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

But I know this....?
    You are stating the obvious....I'm not that stupid.

yeah? so?

This doesn't address why my video crashed in the first place, what it may have done to my system, or how I fix the problem from this point.

Its like when I call the repair shop because my battery went dead and my car won't start...the mechanic says "the radio needs 12 volts to work" ...how does that help?

7. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If possible, what happens if you connect your monitor to your video card with something other than a D-Sub (VGA) cable?

8. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

I don't know?
    I don't know if I have another type of cable.

Doesn't answer the question of why or how this started...but you've got me curious.
    I'll take a look around and see what I've got.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

Just had an "out of range" issue myself on my old Dell SC430 and I can tell you what caused it but why it did it I don't know. Ok here is what happened, My wife's Computer (used to be mine,GA43t) one of the hard drives wasn't showing up after a storm( had 4 in there). I was trying to determine which one it was so I figured out two of them and pulled number three and was going to hook it up in my dell, it has two hard drives and a DVD burner. The cables to the DVD burner were the easiest to get to so I hooked it to them and booted up and after the bios splash screen it went to "out of range". Shut back down and hooked the DVD burner back up and every thing was normal again. Shut down and hooked the hard drive up in place of my slave drive and no problem. Never heard of hooking a hard drive in place of a DVD drive would cause a Video problem "out of range". Maybe one of your hard/DVD drives has issues? Also my dell had to find drivers for the drive that I was testing put in as a slave.

10. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

I submitted a ticket for this on the first day, and just got an email reply back from AMD Tech support regarding this problem...
    basically this is what the tell me to do:

Reset the motherboard bios by clearing the CMOS.
    Remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds.

[I'm confused...Does removing the battery reset the BIOS? or is this two different things?]

Reset the Monitor settings to default from OSD settings.
    [I don't know how to do this? There is only one "reset" option in the colours and contrasts menu]

Download the DDU Tool and AMD Drivers [(they linked in the email)].

Run the DDU Tool by using the .exe file.
    When a warning is given that the PC is not in safe mode, opt for safe mode and the computer will reboot in safe mode.
    Run the DDU tool.

Now install the AMD Drivers.

[at this point I am confused, because without the R7 Card installed, the drivers will not install.
    If I put the Card back in first, I will not be able to do any of this because of the D-SUB error.
    Unless the error is cleared after resetting the BIOS/CMOS?
    So what do I do?... keep taking everything apart and inserting, removing the Video Card and trying it at every step?.
    At some point I am going to damage this card (if its not already damaged)
    Or...when do they suggest I install the Video card?]

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

From the manual :https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...7510.38571738.1543427828-465498395.1538481818
    Section 1.9 Jumper tells you how to reset the Cmos. Make sure you have the power plug removed while you do this. After resetting you will have to go into the BIOS and put the correct date and time in and go to the exit menu and check LOAD SETUP defaults and save and exit. After running DDU shut down and install the R7 card and then install the R7 drivers if the monitor is working. Your board has a setting in the BIOS Primary Video controller needs to be set to GFXO with the R7 card in or IGFX for onboard, most boards detect the add on card automatically.

12. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

Well, I think I followed AMD instructions...and more!...over the last four hours...

Step by Step:
    I disconnected the Internet cable.
    I removed the CMOS Battery for about 10 minutes.
    Then I rebooted...and was asked to do something about the BIOS.
    I chose to load the default settings. Date and Time are changed to 2002!

Then I rebooted again, this time into safe mode.
    I ran DDU...twice...because first time I forgot to check remove all AMD Files/Folders.

Then I rebooted into normal mode. Windows adjusted the Monitor settings to 1920x1080 again.
    I "reset" the monitor ...all default settings.

Then I shut down and connected the Radeon Card using the D-Sub connection.
    Rebooted...with a black screen/ out of range message again.
    Tried booting in safe model, same screen.

Disconnected the monitor...and attached an older monitor that has a dvi-d connection.
    Using the dvi-d cable I was able to get a screen...crappy looking, but a windows screen.

So I rebooted into safe mode and did the DDU again.
    Then rebooted into normal and installed the up to date radeon software.

Rebooted...and Windows will not load. Black screen and keeps trying to reboot.
    Rebooted into safe mode...it worked...but obviously I am not getting anywhere.

I have reset BIOS again...run the DDU again (in safe mode).
    Gone back to my original monitor, connected by D-Sub cable to onboard motherboard graphics.

I still have no clue if the Video card is fried, or the dongle (dvi-d to d-sub) is damaged (why would it be?) or if the D-Sub cable is damaged (why would it be?)
    Or, is something on my mainboard fried?
    How do I confirm any of this?
    I have absolutely no problem buying whatever parts I need or even buying a new computer...if i could just confirm what is wrong!

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

a610UJPnovfL__SL1100_.jpg Sounds like the D-Sub (VGA) on the R7 is not working, Can you hook HDMI cable up from the R7 to a monitor?
    "Rebooted into safe mode...it worked...but obviously I am not getting anywhere." That usually means the driver for the Video is bad, What is the exact manufacture and part number for Your R7?
    Have you tried running the R7 without the Radeon Adrenalin software? Just the basic drivers, Sounds like you need an earlier version of Radeon Adrenalin software. The latest version of something is not always the best. You did not say you had a dongle (dvi-d to d-sub) that could be part of the problem. HDMI and DisplayPort are the best cables to use. Does your dongle look like the picture I attached? I have one on my Dell and only #1 works on my monitor , have you tried both?

14. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

My video card does not have HDMI outputs and my LG monitor does not have HDMI input.

The Strix Radeon R7-370 4Gb has two DVI-D outputs (dual monitor) and comes with this DVI-D to D-SUB adapter.
    As I have said, I cannot install the radeon software without the Card installed, but once the card is installed, I get the "out of range" error on black screen.
    The one and only way I have seen a screen is using a DVI-D connection, and before installing the Radeon Adrenalin software.

The Adrenalin software (I just tried) is version 18.9.3 ...which I had installed and running for months before the recent update and then subsequent video crash four days later.

Attached Files:

15. lynx1021

lynx1021

Are you sure you downloaded the windows 7-64bit drivers here : https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/beta/win7-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.11.2-nov19.exe ? This is the 18.11.2 drivers. The 18.11.1 drivers are for windows 10. Or you could try the AMD Minimal Setup here https://www2.ati.com/drivers/instal...son-relive-17.7.1-minimalsetup-170714_web.exe. The 18.9.3 windows 7-64bit are here:https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/win7-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.9.3-oct5.exe What brand is your card? I have had better luck with the Manufacture's drivers than AMD. Your DVI connectors are DVI-D and DVI-I connectors See connector types picture dvi-types.png You are using the adapter on the right one?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice