1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video cutting HDMI output

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tedcroland, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tedcroland

tedcroland It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Hello! I have a problem.

I have been using my laptop to output to a large, HD (1080i max res) TV via HDMI for some time. I recently replaced my slightly older HP entertainment laptop with an ASUS K52JC-A1 running a 2.4GHz i5 and a Nvidia 310 graphics card, 4GB of RAM. In my research beforehand, I found that the specs should have been equivalent (I believe the HP was running a dual-core Intel around 2.2-2.4GHz and an ATI card of some kind), but since I switched over, I've had nothing but trouble with my HDMI outputting of .mkv x264 video output. I have done exhaustive research on this subject, at least as far as Google and word of mouth can take me, and I can't figure out why.

My precise problem is this: No matter the res, which is usually 720 or 1080 by whatever, but always the mkv container with the x264 codec, I get video choppiness and cutting, some slowing and speeding up, and occasionally pixelation and graphics "merging," where one image continues over another. The latter problems are usually only with 1080 res, which makes me suspect lack of power from either the processor or the graphics card. I figure that any i5 would have no problem with this, but I don't know a ton about the overall performance of the graphics card. I'm smart with this stuff but not too resourceful, so this is where I'm turning. I have been working on this for quite awhile with no improvement.

This only happens when the video is outputting directly to the TV with the monitor on the computer itself switched off (no cloning or continuing).

Things I've tried include shutting down all other programs/superfluous processes, I've tried graphics acceleration and playing with the video settings in the programs I've been using. Speaking of, primarily I've been using VLC, but I've also tried Quicktime, Windows Media Player, XBMC, and as a last resort, RealPlayer. They all do the same thing, that is, run the video at the same quality with the same choppiness (which is not to say they chop in precisely the same places). If it's a hardware problem, would there be any suggestions for fixing or upgrading the hardware?

I would really appreciate some advice here. Like I said, I've been working on this for awhile and done extensive research on the subject and found lots of people with similar problems, but none of the solutions presented have worked for me. I wouldn't be posting here unless it was my last resort.

Thank you for your help. This has been vexing me for awhile, so any help at all is appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice