1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video disabled Please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alphaomegase, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alphaomegase

alphaomegase Thread Starter

OK, here is the problem, I stupidly disabled the video on my wife's laptop by right clicking on the desktop>properties>settings>advanced>adapter>properties...I set it to disable. After that it woud go through post and to the windows logo screen then the screen goes black and there is nothing. Now I can't get the video to work at all. I tried resetting bios, I enabled VGA to no avail. I tried to boot into safe mode but it got hung up at mup.sys and stayed there for about an hour then I tried repairing the xp installation off the xp cd and then tried booting into safe mode but that stopped at mup.sys and then the computer restarted and now it goes the windows xp logo screen and restarts, and it won't do anything else except keep rebooting now. Please help me!

Dell Inspiron 1501
    Windows XP Pro
    80GB HDD
    512 MB RAM

Any help is greatly appreciated all. Thank you.

2. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

On your keyboard press the Windows flag +R. type in "narrator" without the quotes and see if you can get anywhere with that sweet little voice, haha.

3. alphaomegase

I don't understand how that will help with my wife's laptop. This is my desktop computer and her laptop doesn't boot to windows and I can't get a command prompt....it just keeps rebooting once it gets to the windos logo screen.

4. norton850

norton850

The idea is that with narrator running it will tell you what you are clicking on. It is slow and clunky. But with a lot a patience and trial and error you can go into Device Manager and re-enable video. It might work, but it wouldn't be easy.

5. alphaomegase

I just figured out that you are right, that it is slow and clunky and if I had done that when it first happened I think it would have worked. It's a good idea for future reference but won't help right now cause I can't even get it to go past the windows xp logo screen. But thank you for the advice.

6. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

Try this blindly:

winstart key
    r
    msconfig
    enter
    tab 11 times
    right arrow 3 times
    tab 7 times
    space
    tab
    space
    alt + a
    enter
    enter

7. alphaomegase

Thank you for the reply but will that work with the computer restarting itself before it gets into windows??

8. alphaomegase

ok, I finally got this thing to boot to windows but I tried what you just said and still nothing. Any other ideas?

9. norton850

norton850

Anything on the HD that you need?

10. alphaomegase

Unfortunately yes, my wife has many documents off of it. Also, I cannot get it to start in safe mode, I can choose safe mode but it stops loading at Mup.sys. One thing I believe is that it is the driver after Mup.sys that is having trouble loading but I don't know what driver it is. I have tried the dell site and annoyances.org but can't seem to find a fix for this. Is there anyone who can tell me what's going on please?

11. alphaomegase

OK, I have a question, I used the windows xp pro cd to start the recovery console, I used the command listsvc which lists all the services....it looks as if there are drivers that are loaded at boot, is it possible that I could set the vga controller to start and that might restore my video? If so, which svc would it be? Thanks.

12. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

You've probably already dones this but I'm going to ask anyway. Since you can now get to a command line have you done: sfc /scanow?

13. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

I meant sfc /scannow

14. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

I just found this:

If you can, go to your BIOS and somehow disable ESCD. It handles resources for Plug n Play.

15. alphaomegase

DefCon, thank you for responding. The only command prompt I can get to is the one for the recovery console from the cd and it says that sfc /scannow is not a valid operation and I have run scandisk with the /r and /p options and it fixed some things but still I nothing. As for the ESCD, I don't have that option in my BIOS or if I do I don't know where it's at. Also, I think some clarification is required here, I was talking to my wife, and before I disabled the video in windows, my wife says that under the resources tab for the adapter there were 3 conflicts listed. Unfortunately she didn't write them down. Thank you again for responding.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice