Video Display Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Axiom911

my system:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon x800 256MB

I just reformatted... and when I tried to watch a movie in windows media player, it displays all colorful and distorted.. the video itself looks like a giant rainbow.

I beleve I installed the drivers correctly..

It only happens when I play ASX or AVI files.. WMV and MPEG displays fine.

Something to check (although I suspect you may have already done so and also it doesn't explain how WMV and MPEG are OK) - Check the display settings - is it set to 24 or 32bit colour? If not it needs to be.

if you go into device manager - are there any yellow question marks agianst your video card?

If so then maybe it is a driver/software issue. Presumably you've uninstalled the video drivers and installed them again (make sure you do a reboot in between uninstalling and reinstalling the software). I have little experience of ATI cards (happened to have used nVidia) but I know that bad uninstalls can give problems with the drivers. nVidia have a uninstall utility that makes sure every trace of the old driver is wiped - maybe ATI have a similar version - just to be sure?

Other than that, I think my next step would be to test the card in another PC if possible.

Steve

Axiom911

ok i will try that soon as i get home from work..

no there are no yellow questionmarks

I cant help you right now but im sure the problem is codec (codex) related. Look into the subject and you might solve the issue. Ill be home later tonight and may help you.

funkdmonkey said:
I cant help you right now but im sure the problem is codec (codex) related. Look into the subject and you might solve the issue. Ill be home later tonight and may help you.
Yeah, I definitely agree. Make sure you update your codecs or find a reliable codec pack and update them, it should work fine then.

I have a similar issue..........I just upgraded my video card from an (eVGA) nvidia 6800GT to a (BFG) 7800GS OC and now when I play any wmv file, if I make any adjustments to the display in wmp, (i.e. brightness, contrast, etc..) the image goes to purple and green. Only happens with wmv files????? I installed latest nvidia drivers when I installed the new card, had the same issue but was also causing reboot as well when I fiddled with the image display so I installed the previous driver that came with the card. No other issues but wma files only. AVI and mpeg files play fine. Hope to find answer from this thread.....?

Axiom911

little outdated but i just got around to viewing another video sent to me and i remembered i posted my problem here.. it still doesnt work and i have tried downloading divx codecs, and other similar codecs.. still no work

Axiom911

ok i just downloaded new drivers and catalyst software as suggested by the ATI support site, and still no work.. guys im stuck and dunno what to do next..

Axiom911

... i went to microsoft.com and downloaded the new media player version 10.. it works now..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts