1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video dissapeared while building new system.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SMASMASMA, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA Thread Starter

I am building a new system.The video was working but then while I was getting ready to format the hard drive it went on permanent energy saver mode.

( I had a problem after that with powering up and then instantly powering down, which I resolved with new CPU, artic silver and upgraded cooling fan, but after I solved that I was back to the no video problem)

The rough specs:

MOBO Shuttle AK35KGTR

Video ATI 64 AGP

256 ddr memory

Maxtor 160 gb hard drive.

I haven't any additional cards installed at this time.

The video was there at first and then shut down at the point that I was about to format the hard drive. I have tried other video cards with the same result.

While I was dealing with that the system started powering up and powering down.

I resolved that issue by installing a new CPU amd athlon 2000 socket A

also used artic silver and an upgraded cooling fan 3200 rpm.

Both the case and the 300 watt power supply are new.

Question. There is a red switch on the power source which can be set to 115 or 230. It was set at 115 when I got it and I left it that way. What is the function of this switch?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What kind of ATI video card is it? It's a not an older 3.3V card is it?

That switch is the voltage switch. 115V for North America, 230V for Europe. 300Watt is a little low for a new system, especially if its a lower quality one.

Make sure all the jumpers are set right and that the CPU is being detected at the proper speed; AMD XP 2000+ does not run at 2000Mhz, but at 1.67Ghz. It might alos be worth trying the motherboard outside the case to avoid shorting.

3. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA Thread Starter

I could check the jumpers but they are the same as when I did have a video. They are different than what I am accustomed to. The pled is two separate single plugs, a plus and a minus. There is no gled.

I don't know how I can check the CPU speed without a video.

I have been using the 300 power supply on similar computers, a couple of years old. Not sure what you mean by lower quality. Shuttle is inexpensive but has excellent reviews.

The ATI is a new card. I'm not sure what you mean by 3.3V. Is that V for volts? Where do you find that ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice