1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video driver problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnO28356, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnO28356

JohnO28356 Thread Starter

Win 7 Home Prem, 64 bit, I5 2500, 8gb RAM, NVIDEA Geforce GTX560, PSU 600W. Once or twice a week get a msg after a few seconds of black screen that the drivers failed and have recovered. Have tried updated drivers from NVIDEA but same problem. Hope someone has a solution.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    Video drivers, or whatever software/app that you are doing at the time of the problem is causing the issue.

3. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    I had this issue awhile ago with my Nvidia 9600GT it went away after awhile im not sure what fixed it to be honest. just to make sure you are getting the correct drivers heres a link to them. GTX 560 DRIVERS

4. JohnO28356

Thanks for the replies. I upgraded to the 285.62 drivers when they were released, and prior to that I had upgraded to the release before the 285.62.. When I do a driver change I always use Driver Sweeper after uninstalling the drivers so I'm pretty sure all my driver installs are good. I think my problem started when I did the first upgrade and continued with the latest set of drivers. On Sunday I uninstalled my card and reinstalled it with the drivers from the NVIDIA CD (V 270.48) and so far no problem.

I found quite a few posts when I Googled that really badmouth the 285.62 drivers, and most of what I found on Google concerning my problem was for Vista and the suggested fixes really didn't apply to Win 7. This problem has been around for at least several years and neither MS nor NVIDIA have come up with a fix. Since this problem also occurs with some ATI cards, I have to say it's most likely a MS problem, or less likely a conflict between the cards and some other piece of hardware.

I'll post back if/when the problem returns.

5. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The problem, is we nor you are sure of what is the problem.

"Once or twice a week get a msg after a few seconds of black screen that the drivers failed and have recovered." is an indication the video drivers, or a part of the video drivers crashed in some fashion and the vpu recovery feature engaged to restart the drivers. That in and of itself is NOT a problem. It is simply an indication that there is/was a problem.

What you need to determine, is what is causing the drivers to crash. This can be literally anything from the hardware (ie: video card, RAM, power supply, motherboard), drivers, or software/applications that are running.

6. JohnO28356

Everything I found on Google searches points to drivers. As I said in my last post, I rolled the drivers back to the version on the Nvidia 'installation CD and so far the problem has not re-occurred. I did find one post that blamed low power to the card, but I don't believe that's my problem.

In my case, the problem usually occurred when I was on the internet, it never occurred when I was gaming. Several times it occurred when I clicked on an image on a page to enlarge it.

I will post back if I have the problem again.

7. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Brand/model of the power supply? Quality is more important than size rating. And regardless of even the power rating, is the amps supplied on each 12v rail.

Based on these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gf114,2845-15.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/21

That accounts for 75% of your "rated" power, and you typically shouldn't be pushing the power supply that high.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just trying to point out there can be any number of causes. And based simply on what you have stated so far, you haven't eliminated anything.

Good luck.

8. JohnO28356

PSU is a Thermaltake, WO121RU, 600 volts. Motherboard is Intel DP67BGB. CPU i5, 2500, 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge. 8gb Corsair RAM. I built this in September.

This is the 6th problem free day and I'm starting to feel sure that the driver updates were definately the problem.

If the problem comes back I think I'll have to look at hardware, but I really believe it's a software issue. If you Google the problem you'll find many, many different software fixes on various models of computer,s with different fixes applied by the posters that they claim work.

I am aware that the warning does not point specifically to 'the GPU, rather it's a generic warning.

9. JohnO28356

Oddball-- Check out the thread on Nvidia forum. Best explanation of problem I've found yet. Many posters in the thread are saying that v275.33 drivers are the last stable drivers Nvidia has put out. I am going to put video drivers in the same category as BIOS updates: Don't do them unless they are said to fix a specific problem that you are having.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=213670&st=0

10. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It happens. And "last stable" version, can vary according to the chipset in question. In other words, what works on a 5xx card, may cause issues on an older model.

And yes, I don't update drivers unless I'm having a problem that I'm trying to resolve.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice