1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Drivers stop my video card from working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccblazer44, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccblazer44

ccblazer44 Thread Starter

I just built a new system, here are the specs:

MB: asrock z75pro3
    PSU: Coolermaster 620w
    MEM: 8g crucial
    GPU: GIGABYTE radeon hd 7950
    HD: Samsung 120g SSD
    Windows 7 64 bit home premium

I put the rig together and installed/updated windows just fine. Naturally the picture quality was terrible because I hadn't installed the drivers yet. I've tried installing the latest drivers from both AMD's and GIGABYTES' websites, but the same thing happens. The drivers install and then prompt a reboot, when I reboot the resolution is a lot higher like it should be but the video is all messed up with white lines during the windows loading screen. Once windows loads it just shows a blank blue screen, not a BSOD.

After researching I tried using an HDMI cabla as suggested in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/385083-33-gigabyte-ra...

Tried updating my bios as suggested here but it didnt work:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807...

Have reinstalled windows twice still having the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more info on my system.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Which exact CoolerMaster PSU did you buy?

But the video card could just be faulty, is it possible to test the card in another computer?

3. ccblazer44

Thanks for getting back to me Rob. I have the coolermaster M2 Silent Pro 620 Watt. I'm going to try putting the new video card in my old computer today to see if that can shed any light on the situation and report back.

4. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

It looks like the GPU has failed on you.
    You should return it to the place that you bought it from and get it replaced.

5. ccblazer44

Thank you all for your responses. I've been busting my butt all day on this issue and I've come to the conclusion that you guys are a right, the GPU is faulty, but I want to run some things past you to make 100% sure because I've never gotten a faulty piece of hardware from newegg before.

1) I got my hands on a radeon HD 7900 to test the issue, and it worked fine in the new machine (rig A).

2) The alleged faulty HD 7959 was having the exact same issue when I put into another fully functional machine (rig B), except for one minor difference, after I installed the drivers it looks like it did with no drivers instead of just being a blank black or blue screen..

3) Rig A boots up great and looks fine when booting from the built in VGA port with no PCI card installed.

This all clearly point to a faulty GPU, but like I said I just want to make sure and also further my own understanding.

My concern is that I'm possibly not plugging in the GPU power correctly, I consider myself very tech savvy but I've been out of the hardware and PC building game for a long time, and I'm a little unsure of myself. The working radeon 7900 is using a cables like this.

With the 2 6 pings going into the GPU and 1 5 pin going into the PSU. Here is what the power cables look like for the alleged faulty radeon 7950.

With the gray 6 pin going into the PSU and the 8 pin and 6 pin going into the GPU. I'm pretty confident this is correct but there is this one 2 pin that isn't going anywhere.

If you guys are confident that the GPU is faulty I will contact newegg and get a replacement. I was convinced it was some other issue because the GPU would kind of work but then stop working when I installed the drivers, which confounded me, so if you could give me any educational tips for future reference on this point that would be awesome.

Thanks again,

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is that the cable that came with with the power supply and plugs directly into the power supply? You should not be using any splitters/cables that came with the video card but only the cables that the PSU already provides; as the power supply does provide 4 dedicated PCI-Express already.

The picture is unclear as two of the ends have yellow and the third one has no yellow so they do not appear to be the same cable. The CoolerMaster cables you should be using appear to be solely black in color from the pictures I've seen, but maybe they have a few color variations for that model. If the video card has a 6 pin connector, then it is normal for two of the pins to detach and not be used. The power supply should also say which cables to use and what they are for, it may recommend using specific ports on the PSU to connect the modular cables as well when two of them are being used.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice