Video DVD Playback of TV

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dsilv

I have successfully edited a short video using MovieMaker and have recorded same on a CD. Playback on computer is fine but my Samsung DVD player will not recognize the disk.
What could be wrong here?

dsilv

iXneonXi said:
You may have saved the format as windows media. Common dvd format is MPEG2.
I checked the dsik file type shows as Windows Media Audio/Video file! Can I convert somehow?

Just take the windows media file and encode it to MPG2 using a program like tmpgenc. All you need is a decent mpeg 2 encoder for makin videos that play on normal DVD players. Some of the newer players play wmv but i guess not yours.

If windows movie maker exports to mpg just open your project (given you have the original files and the project saved) and resave the file.

dsilv

iXneonXi said:
Just take the windows media file and encode it to MPG2 using a program like tmpgenc. All you need is a decent mpeg 2 encoder for makin videos that play on normal DVD players. Some of the newer players play wmv but i guess not yours.

If windows movie maker exports to mpg just open your project (given you have the original files and the project saved) and resave the file.
I checked MovieMaker and it records in "MS HighMat". Checking MS website it appeard that some DVD players will decode this, but I canot find anything in my Samsung manual that says anything about HighMat.
I guess I should check out tempgenc. Thanks

Yah, my DVD player refuses to play HighMAT, my friend's apex does. You should check into various mpeg encoders. TMPGENC provides decent quality, but for superb quality I'd pay for TMPGENC. Some may say otherwise but i say it's way too convenient of a program and registering helps.

dsilv

iXneonXi said:
Yah, my DVD player refuses to play HighMAT, my friend's apex does. You should check into various mpeg encoders. TMPGENC provides decent quality, but for superb quality I'd pay for TMPGENC. Some may say otherwise but i say it's way too convenient of a program and registering helps.
I have downloaded and opened the program but it does not recognize the CD content??

dsilv

dsilv said:
I have downloaded and opened the program but it does not recognize the CD content??

I take thqt back--I looked further and it seems that I was able to get a session going. I will see what develops (it looks like a 2hrs. plus operation.

dsilv

iXneonXi said:
Yes, encoding takes a long time, the longer the video the longer the encode.
The encode was successful, as far as I can see. I burned it on to a CD disc but it will NOT play on my DVD player. I guess it is not capable of handling MPEG either. Thanks for the help.

No, theres MPEG 1 and 2, and if ur dvd player was made within the last 2-3 years it will play one or the other format. Close the CD. I'd burn it to a dvd instead of a cd tho, and some dvd players are picky over what medium u use like cd or dvd-r

dsilv

iXneonXi said:
No, theres MPEG 1 and 2, and if ur dvd player was made within the last 2-3 years it will play one or the other format. Close the CD. I'd burn it to a dvd instead of a cd tho, and some dvd players are picky over what medium u use like cd or dvd-r
Have been away for a couple of days--I will try DVD-R ( at Fry's they told me the -R has better chance of bring recognozed by DVD player (mine is a little over a year old. Will try to let u know the outcome

Yah i just got back from a short vacation too. I'll just wait for your reply hope things work out well.

dsilv

I did another encode onto a DVD-R disc and it did NOT work out. I guess I will probably have to move on to program other than Moviemaker for my edits , unless I restrict myself to video presentation solely on computer.
Although I did hear that some DVD players are now able to handle the MS Moviemaker files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online