1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video editing freeware for the PC?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by colorado97, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colorado97

colorado97 Thread Starter

I've used Apple's I-movie on a Mac, but I'm curious if there's any similar easy-to-use freeware available on the PC for editing digital video. What are the best freeware titles available for editing video on the PC?

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. colorado97

I went through the mpegx site and looked over the titles in the Video Editor category. Perhaps I missed something, but I didn't see any comprehensive freeware video editor like Apple's I-movie (at least none that would work for me). Do you have specific recommendations for a title that has those kinds of features for the PC platform (Windows 2000, actually)? If I had WindowsXP, I'd use Windows MovieMaker, but that's not available on Win2k.

4. RSM123

RSM123

No specific recommendations, sorry. You might be somewhat limited in your choices if you specifically want a free product. Most now will be at best trialware - either time restricted or certain features disabled to compel you to pay

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. colorado97

Avid Free DV states that Windows XP is required. I'm looking for something that will work on Windows 2000.

7. Squashman

Never hurts to try installing it anyways.

8. Squashman

Read this thread. Apparently someone was able to get Movie Maker to work on Windows 2000. Now I dont know the legality of it, but if you know someone who has windows XP....................

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread22212-1.html

9. colorado97

Thanks for the suggestion about modifying Windows MovieMaker to work on Windows 2000; however, I'd like to find a freeware or open source program that is designed for Windows 2000 and offers the relative ease-of-use and functionality of a video editor like i-Movie. If you know of such a program, please let me know.

10. slickoe

slickoe

11. colorado97

I've tried the Zwei-Stein editor created by [email protected] It crashed on my first use. I found it rather difficult to use and difficult to make it work properly. Other suggestions?

12. slickoe

slickoe

Videomach is a good one (but is tricky to learn at first)and must be "registered". The very best and easiest I have used is at boilsoft.com. It works on Mpg/avi/wmv/asf, and even works on most divx compressed mpeg-4's. It too, must be "registered", which I do to all my "shareware" utilities.

13. colorado97

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the utilities at Boilsoft.com and there were a number of shareware components for splitting and joining files, etc. I'd like to find something to edit a video that allows for cutting out scenes here and there, adding transitions, title screens, etc. It seemed like the splitting utility could work but it seems to be mostly designed to split large video files into smaller parts and less as a tool to make minor cuts in the video track. I'm still looking for freeware solution that's easier to use...

14. slickoe

slickoe

If you are "in the know" of course any shareware can be transformed to freeware, say no more. How about virtualdub or blazemedia pro? How about Camtasia Studio? Video Edit Magic (http://www.deskshare.com/vem.aspx) sounds like what you seek, though it too, will need to be, "registered".
    Then there is webflix pro:
    WebFlix Pro delivers a complete package of MPEG scene change detection, fast MPEG navigation, editing and playing to your PC desktop. WebFlix Pro finds cut and dissolve events, provides an easy-to-use visual index of thumbnails integrated into our powerful video navigation system and supports interactive MPEG editing. Details of the video stream are at your fingertips, including motion analysis as well as full sequence, GOP and picture data. Our scene change detection algorithms and MPEG analysis technology outperform competitive products costing tens of thousands of dollars

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice