1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video-editing laptop...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ian80, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'll preface by saying my tech knowledge has certainly dipped in the last few years. In high school, I was right on top of all the specs, but things have advanced so much in the last few years, I feel I've fallen a little behind. I'm looking for some advice on a new laptop. I'm a stop-motion animator, and this will be my main work station. I need something that can handle video editing, video capture and smooth playback. I've been browsing TigerDirect.ca; how would these three compare?

Asus G71GX-RX05
    Asus K52Jr-X2
    Asus G51JX-X2

Where I get lost is comparing DDR2 with DDR3, or Intel i3 with i7. I'm left comparing apples to oranges, with no sense of which system comes out on top. I don't want to overpay for a power I don't need, but I also don't mind investing more if I am going to notice a considerable difference in perfomance. I'm assuming the G51JX is the better system, but is it $400 better?

Also, do you think I should consider the desktop route? Obviously, I would be getting a better system for considerably less (I tried comparing, but again, am feeling lost -- there is just too much variation out there anymore!). I am intrigued with the iPad, so that could always solve the portability issue. Desktops seem so limiting these days though...

Any advice, insight or comments are appreciated!

Ian

2. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

The only limit I see with a desktop compared to a laptop is portability. If you don't need to move the machine much, then I would say you can go for a desktop. And maybe in your work a computer with lots of harddrive space may also be a big plus.

3. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Well, to be honest, portability would be a huge plus. That's why I'm leaning towards a laptop. As for harddrive space, the second system I listed has 640GB HDD, that seems like a heck of a lot!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would not make the choice based on storage, you can buy 1TB USB harddrivbes quite cheaply for storage, just make sure you have enough storage on the PC for any editing

Asus G71GX-RX05 - is a refurbished Unit - also not sure how much Video RAM it has or if just shares the main memory
    Asus G51JX-X2 - has a 7200 RPM harddrive , the Asus K52Jr-X2 has 5400 - that may make a difference in video editing, as access with the 7200 will be faster - That was a difference when I was editing Large Images in photoshop.

The Asus K52Jr-X2 does not have a firewire - connector, used for video transfer from cameras - BUT you can buy these - although I cannot see an expresscard slot on this machine .. the G51JX-X2 has an esata port and expresscard slot

I'm afraid I'm not sure of the difference in i3 or i7 quad or dual core, as applied to video editing ..... and if the $400 is worth it - clearly the G51JX-X2 is geared up for speed, and have considered even the harddrive speed - all bus speeds are faster - but hopefully someone with experience in video editing will reply as to the $400

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice