1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Editing on a External Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ronat75, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronat75

ronat75 Thread Starter

Dear Sir,

I have a external 40G Drive not used, I would like to use it for Video Editing only.

I have it connected to my COMPUTER and it shows as Maindrive F.

Maindrive C being my exsisting drive connected internally also 40G but is
    nearly full and would be no good for this purpose.

What do I have to do to use Drive F for Video Editing only, I have tried
    to do it but everything reverts to drive C which at the moment can not
    handle it.

Can you help Thank you ronat75

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

What software are you using for editing?

wrs

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

"Thank you for your response software being used "Nero 6" I have also tried " Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3" on each occassion it wouldnot reconize Drive F and would only Install on Drive C which is full. The external Drive being used is a MAXTOR ONE TOUCH"

I use ULead and have not tried Nero. Installing on C only may be normal, but in most editing programs, you can change the location of the "Scratch File" or "Working FIle" to another directory or drive. Look around in Options to see if Nero allows this.

If your 40 Gig drive is almost full, you might want to install another internal drive and move "My Documents" to the new one to free up space. Right click on "My Documents" . . select Properties and click on the Move Button . . when it asks if you want to relocate your files say yes

Hope this helps . . wrs

4. ronat75

ronat75 Thread Starter

Hello
    many thanks for your reply but drawn a blank even after moving "my documents"
    I must have something there that I am missing any suggestions.
    I had a thought of installing windows on the new drive, but would it work.
    many thanks gor your help so far. Ron Ronat75

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Installing Windows on a USB/Firewire drive is a BAD idea, since it would be slow as molasses! :)

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Sounds like you have files that are not stored in the My Documents chain . . Wherever they are stored, you should be able to move them to the external drive to free space on the internal.

wrs

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice