1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Editing Software Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Alex Ethridge, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I know almost nothing about editing videos and get confused when I see the menus and controls in editing software. I don't even understand the terms. For instance, I don't see anything that looks straight forward to me as to how to open a video for editing. Instead, I see something that says "Open a Project" and I don't quite understand what to do with a video even if I do figure out how to open it in a "Project".

So, I'm kinda lost.

Here are some of the things I would like to do:
    • Join two videos together
    • Take out uninteresting segments that may be several seconds or several minutes long
    • Compress time, meaning in an instructional how-to-disasemble/reassemble video speed up time through repetitive identical processes, like maybe the removal of several screws.
    • Convert a larger MTS file to something much smaller so it can be easily downloaded and viewed, or attached to an e-mail
    • Remove a single frame from a video file to save as a still image
    • Brighten a darken a video
    • Color corrections

These are some of what I would like to do and if I am going to buy a software that will do these things and then learn how to use it, what would be a good one under $150? I've read a little about Adobe Premiere Elements and it looks okay; but, for someone who understands little about what he reads, I would like to have some advice from those who actually do this work regularly.

To be clear, I am not asking for instructions on how to do these things; I am asking which program(s) might be best and why one or the other might me better or undesirable. Once I settle on one, then I can start learning how to use it.

Thanks for reading.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If you have Windows 7, I'd suggest starting with Windows Movie Maker .. and Windows DVD maker.
    Lots of YouTube tutorials available.
    I just open WMM ... and Drag n Drop my vids

Most videos are too large to Email ... I use YouTube and Email the link.
    Still frames from a video are usually poor quality ... (depends on what quality you need) ... I usually use a ScreenShot .. It's the same as WMM's Snapshot view

Other than these restrictions ... WMM is easy to use (and understand) and will probably do what you want to do .. (for free)
    I do this regularly .. and WMM and WDVDM is all I use

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1102207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice