1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Encoding and vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bgd73, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgd73

bgd73 Thread Starter

I am an avid windows user, not a pro, for 10 years.
    My only question (isn't that odd) involves video encoding. for years I wondered why movie maker had such conservative settings, even when there are standard definition videos recording at 10mbit (lucky me, I have a panasonic that does so for my 720x480 TV) Anyway, my vids are junk. I got a new hd card capable of bigger vids than mine, avivo helping things along, and an external editor called ulead video studio...god forbid windows has to do anything with it...

I want to upgrade for dx10 and the next level of goofy graphic things I never know the name of, (basically for pixel shader four) and my vid card is already capable.

Do I need premium vista, as that is the one that claims to do HD encoding in movie maker. I am certain it goes beyong movie maker, but for programs that use windows media encoding as well (given windows track record). Before I spend too much, could someone inform me? I only learned recently that the hd is a world seperated from regular windows I have always run, and it has been a bad time. I am assuming for now premium vista is a must do? and can I upgrade my upgrade retail xp ugrade edition for the upgrade?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I'm not sure of the full intent of your post but some things; dx10, any direct X layer has always been aimed at graphics display where games are concerned when it comes to the "fancy" stuff.

HD video is much more ubiquitous than that, relying on codecs, horsepower and capacity. In other words I can encode any HD video on Vista or XP (or other OSs) as long as I have the right program that can decode and encode in HD, have a video card with at least 256 mb of memory (512 is better), a processor fast enough not to take an unreasonable amount of time in making editing changes or encoding, and a very generous amount of free hard drive space.

Personally I work with Hi Def on an old Athlon 3800+ system with 2 gigs of memory running XP pro with a squeak-by 256 meg memory video card. Studio 11 is the program that I use for the HD processing.

As you may know from the specs above, working with HD is dead dog slow and the only reason I would go to a system with Vista is if it came with the sweet quad core processor, 512 mb video card...etc...for the power and capacity, not for Vista or for any special features that the OS or hardware might otherwise have for other purposes.

I wouldn't trust Windows Movie Maker to be competent working with any HD in any version since its never been a reliable or robust program.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice