1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video file won`t transfer to USB drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by devil, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. devil

devil Thread Starter

I have a 32GB USB flash drive which i`m trying to transfer a video file onto from my desktop pc. Every time i try it i get a message stating that the file is no longer located in C/users/name/desktop. When i click on the file on the desktop it plays with no problem, so i know the video file is okay. I have formatted the drive (FAT32) and tried again but still the same problem.
    Any help much appreciated.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

How big is the file? FAT32 has a 4 GB file size limit.

3. devil

devil Thread Starter

It`s only 987mb.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Are you sure you are copying the file and not just a shortcut to it.

5. devil

devil Thread Starter

Its definitely the actual file. I`ve tried copying the files through my laptop from one drive to another and it works fine on the laptop. I tried it again on my desktop and halfway through it stopped for a few seconds an then started again, it continued for a few minutes and then stopped for a second time and then i got the message that the file is no longer located in E:\ verify the files location and try again.
    The fact that it works on my laptop i`m thinking maybe the the usb`s on my desktop are losing power, but all 8 usb`s are reacting the same way so could my desktop mobo be failing?

6. DaveBurnett

The USB controller on that board is sounding suspect.

7. devil

devil Thread Starter

Can anything be done to fix that?

8. DaveBurnett

Only by replacing the board or getting an add on PCIe USB card which are not expensive.

I would look for other reasons for the slowness first, like bad connections.

9. devil

devil Thread Starter

Any ideas on other reasons?

10. DaveBurnett

Antivirus being over enthusiastic.
    Buffering.
    I would try moving that file to a different folder on the same drive ( it should be very fast as the data is NOT moved, just the index). The desktop IS a "special" folder according to MS and just might be treated differently.

11. devil

devil Thread Starter

I opened the pc, reseated the the usb card and tried again. I copied 6 video files to the thumb drive before it acted up again.Copied a video file to the desktop and tried that but still won`t work.
    I tried a different usb port, an onboard one and that failed aswell.

12. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

So it works for a while and then stops working?

13. devil

devil Thread Starter

Exactly. if i remove the usb drive and then plug it in again i`ll get another few files transfered and then it`ll stop again and so on it goes.

14. DaveBurnett

Look in the event log and see if that gives a clue!

15. devil

devil Thread Starter

UPDATE: Today my pc crashed and on reboot it gave me an option to refresh my pc. I did so using my OS disc and now the usb ports seem to be working fine, well today anyway. So whatever it was that was causing the problem appears to be fixed but how i don`t know. I will keep testing it for a few days and report back with the results.
    Thanks all for the help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice