1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video files lock up media players

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ghostfox, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ghostfox

ghostfox Thread Starter

Hi All

When I try to play video files they freeze on what seems to be the first frame before the video file has loaded, then the player locks up and I end up having to close it via Windows Task Manager. .wmv and .asf files play fine in Windows Media Player 10. Audio files play fine. QuickTime files play fine. Also, all the files I can't play in either WMP or DivX Player play fine in VLC Media Player. Why would that be?

I tried to troubleshoot this myself with poor results: I checked the video files in question with GSpot and they all are either avis and mpegs encoded via divx or xvid. I uninstalled WMP10 then installed the Beta of WMP11 to see if that would make a difference, but the same thing happens. I updated my DivX Player to the latest version and avis and mpegs still won't play. I downloaded and installed the latest xvid codec and it didn't make any difference. I don't have any codec packs installed, but would like to find out exactly what codecs I do have installed so I can uninstall them all and start again. That's if this IS a codec issue of course.

In Device Manager I do have a yellow question mark over Other devices>Multimedia Audio Controller. This has been there for quite some time but I don't know if it is a problem. Any ideas if this is contributing and what I can do about it if it is?

All my audio and video card drivers are up-to-date as is my WXP.

Would appreciate help on this one please. Thanks.

GF

MSI KT4 Ultra
    AMD XP 3000+
    Thermaltake Venus Silentboost
    Crucial 2x512mb & 1x1024mb PC2700 CL2.5 DDR RAM
    Gainward Geforce 7800GS AGP (512MB TV Dual DVI Golden Sample)
    Pioneer DVD-106
    Plextor PX-716A
    Western Digital Caviar 7200 WD3200JB ATA 100 320Gb (Master)
    Western Digital Caviar 7200 WD2500JB ATA 100 250Gb (Slave)
    Creative Audigy 4
    Alcatel SpeedTouch 585(i) Wireless ADSL Gateway
    Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Viewsonic VX912
    Thermaltake Xaser III Super Tower
    Thermaltake 420W Silent PurePower Dual Fan PSU
    Win XP Pro SP2

2. accat13

accat13

Well I have used the K-Lite Codec Pack http://www.codecguide.com/
    since early 2003 with never any video problems.AS a side note on the install I do not use media player classic but just stick with the regular media player 10.....:)

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

4. ghostfox

ghostfox Thread Starter

Hi

Cool wee program that mmview. I see how it works but am unsure what exactly to disable. I have 5 entries for divx for example: 2 divx codecs (vidc.DIVX and vidc.yv12), divx decoder filter, divx demux, and divx subtitle decoder. So do I disable them all? The XviD entries have 2: decoder and encoder. I installed the ffdshow codec but still no joy playing the videos, although I can now preview them in thumbnail view, which I couldn't before.

Now here's something. I've got two episodes of an old tv documentary one of which I can play fine at the moment but the other one just sticks on the first frame. According to GSpot they are both encoded with div3-divx3 low motion. The only differences between the files is that one has audio:

48000Hz 128 kb/s total (2 chnls) LAME3.92, (VBR)

the other has audio:

48000Hz 192 kb/s total (2 chnls) (CBR)

Is this relevant do you think? Is this related to the yellow question mark over Other devices>Multimedia Audio Controller in my Device Manager?

Don't worry, I have no intention of going the codec pack road again. Too much pain the last time;-)

GF

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

As a test I would disable them all (you can always just re-enable). Then render in GSpot and see what happens (what is been used to render).

Do you much Divx encoding? If not you don't need all those entries. Also Divx 3 is rather old and not always supported very well.

You could also try (I should have suggested this first) to disable all Divx entries and set Xvid (don't disable) to handle all 4CC chores, also disable all the ffdshow enties for this test.

In GSpot did it list any other codecs capable of playing the clip? If so find and disable those.

6. accat13

accat13

Don't know why you won't try the codec pack it comes with an uninstaller and you can always set a restore point if you don't like the results restore (assuming you are using xp or me)But I respect your decision if you choose not to install a pack...personally i don't have the time or expertise to play around with codecs..I know alot of time and effort goes into seeing the packs work well and cause no harm...

7. ghostfox

ghostfox Thread Starter

I disabled all Divx entries and set Xvid (don't disable) to handle all 4CC chores, and also disabled all the ffdshow enties, but still no joy.

>In GSpot did it list any other codecs capable of playing the clip?

Can you tell me how to do this please?

Thanks for your help so far:)

GF

8. ghostfox

ghostfox Thread Starter

Well, I went and checked in Gspot what codecs were available to me and saw that quite a few were broken/files missing. So I installed the latest full verison of the K-Lite Codec Pack (I know, I know I said I wouldn't, but there were too many files missing/broken) and upon installation detected the same broken/missing files that Gspot did. I removed them during the installation (which the Pack will do for you) and now I have full video playback. Now I hope I won't get that out of sync audio I used to get when converting avis to dvd, which was the reason I uninstalled the K-Lite Codec Pack the last time I had it installed.

Thx for everyone's help though:) although please comment if you feel the need.

GF

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Cool, accat13 pegged it :)

Well you learned a few things. As far as out of sync audio with AVI's that usually has to do with VBR mp3 audio streams. Nero and VirtualDub, amongst others, don't like them much. The VSO products handle them well though.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice