1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Files Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikhal, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikhal

mikhal Thread Starter

Like the title says all of my video files, or at least the video part of the file, have stopped working. This occured after I installed windows SP3. I've uninstalled and reinstalled SP3 and I'm still having this same problem. I haven't changed anything else with my computer lately aside from SP3.

Oh, I've also tried multiple media players and I have the same issue with all of them.

Does anybody know what I can do to fix this issue of mine? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

mikhal, what is the file extension for the video files?
    give us more detail and information on the video files please.

3. mikhal

mikhal Thread Starter

sorry, these are all video files. .avi .mpeg .wmv

these are a collection of full length movies that i have (some have been downloaded others i've copied to my drive), and i've watched before without any problems until just recently.

certain media players will start the movie and minimize the screen and only the audio will play (vlc), others will have a static-type look on the screen and sometimes i can hear the audio(wmp and real player).

oh, one other thing, my internet video files work just fine - youtube videos and the like, just my media players don't want to work.

4. speed_hog

speed_hog

Some how they have become corrupt and I don't know how to fix them.
    have you tried a system restore to before sp-3?
    can you try them on another PC and see how they work?

5. mikhal

mikhal Thread Starter

i did do a system restore before sp3 and they were still corrupt somehow, which doesn't make any sense to me. i probably cannot try them on another computer however i don't see how this would help, they've been on my computer for the longest time and have worked since i put them there. very annoying this is.

6. Plantsman

Plantsman

You may need a codec pack. Search for and install the excellent K-Lite free codec pack. This allows most videos to run on your computer.

7. mikhal

mikhal Thread Starter

Just tried it, and my files still do not work. :(

8. mikhal

mikhal Thread Starter

well my files are still boned, so i give up. i'll be starting over fresh sometime soon...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice