Video files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jackpan

My OS is W2k with Media Player 9. On occasion I run across video files that require Real Player or Quick Time. Is there something I can download to view these video files and still maintain Media Player 9? Thanks for reading.

fairnooks

Banned
You mean like a plug-in to MP9 so those files will play? No, real media is not well supported anywhere except by the Real Player and Quicktime files also not supported by the MP9 player but VLC Media player should play almost, if not all your MP9 compatible files and most Quicktime. Still out of luck for real media though without the Real Player.

jackpan

The VLC Media Player is exactly what I needed. Never heard of it before. It's small, compact and works like a charm. Thanks for the tip. Now for the Real Player video files. I did some research and found older versions of Real Player ranging from version 4 up to the latest version. Which version would you recommend to only play Real Player video files on my W2k OS? The smaller and more compact the version the better. Thanks again.

jackpan

Just to make sure I have this right, the following should be installed to view most all video files:

Media Player 9 (primary)
VCL Media Player version 0.8.6c
Real Alternative version 1.60

Are any additional CODEC required for either VCL or Real Alternative or are they OK just the way they are? Thanks.

MysticEyes

Banned
Features of Real Alternative 1.60 :

- Media Player Classic [version 6.4.9.0-2]
- RealMedia Codecs [version 6.0.12.1741]
- RealMedia plugin for Internet Explorer
- RealMedia plugin for Opera/Mozilla/Netscape
- RealMedia DirectShow splitter [version 1.0.1.1]

MediaPlayerClassic could probably replace VLC. they are very similar in that they are compact players.

There is also just the codec part.

Real Alternative 1.60 Lite :

- RealMedia Codecs [version 6.0.12.1741]
- RealMedia plugin for Internet Explorer
- RealMedia plugin for Opera/Mozilla/Netscape
- RealMedia DirectShow splitter [version 1.0.1.1]

The only difference between the regular and lite versions is that the lite version does not include Media Player Classic.

Real Alternative Lite allows you to play RealMedia files in all DirectShow enabled players. Without this filter RealMedia files can only be played in Media Player Classic. This filter only works with files that are on your harddrive. It does NOT work with streaming content. Therefore it is highly recommended to use Media Player Classic, because MPC does support streaming content

jackpan

I've read your post a dozen times and the part about the difference between Real Alternative and Real Alternative Lite has me thoroughly confused. Are you saying that if I run across a RealMedia video file while on the internet, MediaPlayer Classic would be required to view the video clip? If this is true then what is the advantage of having Real Alternative Lite installed? Put another way, if Real Alternative Lite was installed, which Media Player would be capable of playing the RealMedia video file? I'm lost here. Thanks for your patience.

fairnooks

Banned
If you can get the latest version of Real Media Player to run on your system I'd go with that. I've tried the latest version and its not the P-I-G it used to be. The "alternatives" sprung up during a time when RMP was about the most irritating and assumptive piece of crapware going. After that strong statement, I have to admit I'm running version 11 and I like it, and its certainly more polished than the alternates for both playback and streaming.

Perhaps if you download the excellent and free K-Lite codec pack you may be able to play them in Media Player 9. It has a very comprehensive list of codecs that enable MP to play quite a number of different video formats.

jackpan

Sure am glad the Tech Support Guy is back. Seemed to have been down forever. Appreciate your feedback. Up to this point VCL Media Player works great with QuickTime files. What I need is the smallest player to play the most common RealPlayer files. I checked out K-Lite and did not see any RealPlayer files listed. Since Media Player 9 is my primary media player, all is need is the smallest and most compact players to play QuickTime and RealPlayer files. Thanks for reading.

fairnooks

Banned
Just pick one and start dancin'!

You're right about the codec packs; K-lite, K-mega, cccp,....I think all of them stay away from real media files cuz like I said, they burned bridges, blew up the towns and soiled the water supply.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
I do believe from the same site there is a quicktime alternative.

jackpan

I took a combination of your suggestions and I do believe my problem is solved. This is what I did. I downloaded both RealPlayer Lite and QuickTime Lite. Went back to my Media Player 9 and reselected all file types. Tested a QuickTime file (.mov) and selected, "Open with Media Player". The QuickTime file played with Media Player. This appears to be the cure at this time. I won't know until I have tested a variety of different file types. In any event, so far, so good. I think it's time to put this thread to bed. Thanks for the help.

(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online