1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Freeze on 3D Games/ATI 9700 Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luthorcrow, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Thread Starter

Hi got a new PC with the following specs:

OS Wk2 SP3
    P4 2.53
    ASUS P4PE Deluxe w/LAN
    1 GB (2x512) of 3200 Cas 2 Corsair DDR
    ATI 9700 Pro Wonder
    2 WD800JB drives

PROBLEM:
    PC runs fine with general apps, plays video, etc, but freezes on most 3D games either at start or at first start-up screen of games. But here is the strange thing, not all 3D games. List is as follows:

Run
    Serious Sam 2nd Coming
    ROTC
    Neverwinter Nights
    The Sims

Crash
    Splinter Cell
    Enclave
    Rune
    Warcraft 3
    Hitman 2

I believe I have verified that it definitely has to do with some to do with the video card because when I test Tropico, it has two modes under settings: software acceleration or hardware for video. It ran fine with software but the minute I turned on hardware excelleration (the faster mode with a good card) it locked up just as per the other games on the bad crash list.

WHERE TO START?
    Just looking for some good clues as where to start. Not sure if BIOS, ATI settings etc. For instance I saw that the AGP video aperture had been set to 64megs but I would think that should be 128megs because the 9700 Pro Wonder card has 128 megs of video memory. I tried changing the setting in BIOS but it didn't seem to help.

MORE DETAILS:
    Award BIOS Settings:

Under ADVANCED
    AGP Frequency: AUTO
    AGP VDDQ voltage: AUTO

Under ADVANCED/CHIP SETTINGS
    Graphic Aperture Size: 64megs
    AGP capability: 4X mode
    Video Memory Cache: UC

No OC

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

Hello

Asus has released several updates for the p4be Black Pearl (Pro) board. You might want to flash your bios to allow for higher setting for your agp adapter. The bios update is here

Your current setting is set at 4x 64 mb with what frequency?
    The Radeon card is 128 bit 8x apeture and this update should allow the mb to detect the cards speed.

Good Luck

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I'm not a big gamer so I don't know which of those you listed can run in openGl, but the ones that can, do they crash when using opengl instead of DirectX or vice versa?

Is it just directx games or both opengl and directX games.

4. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Thread Starter

Well, I got a few good suggestions from a post at Firing Squad and the answer turned out to be dead simple. Re-installing the Catalyst 3.2 drivers was the solution.

To answer your question though all of the games except The Sims required some version of Direct X. As to which were OpenGL and which Direct 3D, I believe Serious Sam 2 is an OpenGL game but I am not sure about the break down for the rest.

The embarassing thing is here I was looking for some kind of complicated answer when one of the basic steps that I should have done first rather than assume the drivers were cool;)

Bahh.

Sequal7
    Thanks for the tip. I was planning on holding on the BIOS update for last. I will check to see what version. I think I noticed an update on 4/15 which was definitely a few weeks after the PC shipped.

The frequency is set to Auto, 4x I believe is the highest setting because the P4PE board does not support 8x (so far 8x hasn't translated into a speed difference because of FSB/CPU and other bottlenecks), one of the post response I received else where had stated that Graphics Apeture Size was the amount of RAM set aside video and because the video memory of the card would normally be used this was moot (but I think I will contact ASUS support to get a definitive answer).

Thanks for all replies!

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I've done that myself: look for a complicated answer instead of first trying the simple stuff.

Glad you got it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/129969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice