1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video freezes, crashes computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bulldogg629, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bulldogg629

Bulldogg629 Thread Starter

Hi all, unfortunately my first post is on bad news. Over the last few days I built my second pc. Everything went well until I sat down to play some games (specifically world of warcraft with video settings on high) I was overjoyed with the performance until suddenly the screen froze the image and then rebooted the computer. Once I got back into the game it did it 2 more times within 30 minutes, sometimes freezing the image and sometimes going to a black screen, but always crashing. Its been 2 days of crashes and they seem to be getting more varied. Sometimes the image freezes, the audio because garbled and then the whole thing crashes, sometimes the video freezes and I continue to hear the game playing still, rarely it doesn't crash but stays frozen until I restart, and on a few occasions (seemingly when I alt+tab fast enough) the picture will unfreeze and allow me to continue. There are reports of this sort of thing being caused by the game world of warcraft itself, so I tried Battlefield 2, another graphics intensive game, and got 1 hang in 30 minutes...this was one of the rare times I was able to alt+tab save myself. I'm just sick over this problem, having spent all my time and money in hopes of having a nice computer for myself and now this.

As for the possibly helpful details:

I'm using Windows XP 64 bit version, fully updated.
    AMD X2 3ghz cpu, running fairly constantly in the 45c temperature range
    BFG Tech 7900 GT OC, PCI-e video card, running in the 50c temp range
    ASUS M2N-E Motherboard
    Chaintech PCI 7.1 sound card
    Raidmax 475 watt PSU

Lastly, thinking perhaps its a heat issue, I removed the side of the case and positioned an extra case fan to blow over the card (and the passively cooled mobo chipset under it) While this lowered the video cards temp from 50c to a minimum of 46c, it did not stop the crashes.

Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the EXACT model of your PSU? Please provide a link.

3. Bulldogg629

4. Bulldogg629

In edition, I went to the BFG Tech site to look for the latest drivers, which sent me to the nvidia site where I downloaded them. Upon installing I was prompted to reboot my system, I did that and right after the windows boot screen came up I was briefly flashed a blue error screen, much too fast to read and the computer rebooted from that point....only to do the same thing the second and 3rd time around. The only way to end the cycle of blue screen /reboots was to start it in safe mode and uninstall the drivers. While they were uninstalled I tried playing the game without any drivers, just xp support, and the same thing happened. Although this time the screen freeze was accompanied by an overlay of different colors and strange shapes before crashing seconds later.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

The first thing I would try is to go here; http://www.memtest.org/ download Memtest and make a bootable CD or floppy. Boot with the CD or floppy and run Memtest. Let it run for 4-6 complete cycles and see if it comes up with any memory errors.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I just noticed you are running a 64 bit OS. Are all your drivers 64 bit compatible?

7. Bulldogg629

As far as I know my drivers are 64 bit. Is there a way I can check to see a list of them? I have actualy very few drivers as of yet, just the video card (of which drivers set up I got out of the "winxp64" folder on the disc that came with it) and the sound card, which loaded automatically. I will be in the process of running the memtest shortly also.

8. Bulldogg629

Just finished running memtest, 3 times, 0 errors.

9. Bulldogg629

Also, do I have my memory in the correct slots? My motherboard has 2 ddr2 slots, from right to left: [B1] [B2] [A1] [A2] I have 2 matching pieces of 2gb ddr2 duel channel ram in slots B1 and A1, is this correct?

10. jazz3000

jazz3000

Are you running any other cards close to your video card? I'm wondering as I read if you haven't purchased a faulty Video Card? It happens. Can you return it or exchange it? I would. Let us know? Jazz

11. Bulldogg629

There is a chaintech sound card 1 pci space below the video card. Unfortunately I cannot return the video card as it was bought several months ago and not used until now.

12. jazz3000

jazz3000

The warranty on any card should be a year from purchase. Have you called and asked them with explanation? If you have a copy of your receipt the date should verify day of purchase. Their usually pretty good about things like tht.
    As to the pci card below you might try reseating it in a different slot and you might try reseating the video card.
    Your Motherboard doesn't need an update on your Bios for the card does it? Jazz

13. Bulldogg629

Well their both fairly new models, the motherboard and video card so I would think they would be up to date. I've heard horror stories of people that don't know what their doing trying to update their bios so I didn't consider it an option.

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

I didn't see where you listed the memory you used. Did you buy memory listed on the Asus QVL list for your board?

15. Bulldogg629

The memory I used is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145590

No it was not specifically on the QVL, but from what I understand that doesn't mean its not compatible does it? I had to go with this memory because the motherboard requires ram to run at 1.95v I believe and this was one of the few name brands I found to run at the required voltage.

Also, thinking it may be the 64 bit set up and conflicts with non-64 bit drivers, I spent all day today reformatting and installing a 32 bit Windows Xp. Unfortunately... same problem within seconds of turning the game on, although this time is froze for 15 seconds and flashed a blue screen with text quickly before shutting down.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/659919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice