1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video/Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mky2007, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mky2007

mky2007 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    I need a new grapphics card (mainly for the sims 2) and was wonderign what the best one out there for my money is. (i'm definitely not made of money) So if you could e-mail me some specifications @ [email protected] I would be very much obliged.
    Thanks
    MKY

2. dzones

dzones

man that is a vague question. there are so many to choose from.
    Give us a rough idea of your price range.
    there are some great 100'sh cards out there. You can get cheaper that that even.

3. Hiltz

Hiltz

Hmm well best buy sells a evga geforce 4 FX graphics card, the new models that geforce is currently making, although I think it may be for PCI slot and not AGP. Best buy had it for only $99 which is a great deal.

I personally loved the Asus geforce 4 ti4200 8x v9280 series graphics card. It had a cool looking fan and it was all gold color. Plus it has great reviews and satisfaction. I bought mine on newegg.com under Asus. It was on sale for $120 but now it is about $160, the main reason it is great is because of how cheap it is for the high performance it gives, so this card is a great one.

There is also the Ati radeon 9600 which is about $140 or higher. Radeon 9800 is one of the best video cards I have seen but man it is really expensive around $299-399 and put simply it would be wasting money if it would only be used for gaming.

Video cards made by asylum or geforce mx i have heard are not that wonderful. If your going to buy a video card i suggest getting one that is 128 MB at the most because 256 MB video cards are much more money.

If you want a good video card you would most likely spend at the least $99 and more towards $120 or higher.

4. Murdoc2k

Murdoc2k

well said....

a gaming pc is usally very expensive because according to today's standards... the manufactures are mass producing newer and newer parts to compete with other companies...therefore game requirements will increase as well... If you don't buy someone better graphic cards, I'm sure u will not be able to play in a matter of a year or so your computer will be totally useless... I have a Ati Radeon 9600 and I predict within 2 years my computer will still be good (not the top tho)

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

hmmm... poster may not know how a FORUM works, expect people to email?

For just SIMS games, any $50 - 64mb video card will work, SIMS is not really a "3D" game... more CPU helps.

6. mky2007

mky2007 Thread Starter

Of course I know how forums work, it's just i am able to check e-mail much more frequently than forums.

I am currently able to play the Sims on my computer, but the upcoming Sims 2 will be totally 3-D and i know my graphics will not be enough. I was wonderin what would be a good, inexpensive card for one who wants it to play 3D games. ( i want the games to run properly too)

7. RSM123

RSM123

mky2007,

Not knowing your budget its difficult to recommend specific cards but perhaps you would care to look at this site :

http://www.tomshardware.com

Use the search feature as they have reviews of all products from budget to high end.

For info - the pc I use online I have a GeForce 440.

For games I use a Radeon 9500.

8. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

I bought an XFX Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 not long ago for under $50. It works great for the games I run. I'm not much on the fight games but I was impressed with how the card performed with my flight sims.

John

9. hammerbill

hammerbill

I've been putting gigabyte raidon 9200 se cards in my computers. Pricewatch has them for 40 to 50 dollars. They will not be the best for the most demanding games, but they have 128 mb ddr, 8X agp capability and good dvd/capture hardware support and tv out. The driver includes hydravision for simultaneous tv and monitor output. Pretty good quality for a medium-low cost card.

10. fozzybear

fozzybear

Ive just bought a msi geforce fx 5200 for £60 (about $85?). It plays any game out at the moment as long as the graphic settings arnt set to maximum. Black Hawk Down plays like a dream!!!!!

It should keep me going til doom 3 comes out and i get a top of the range card :)

11. compilerxp

compilerxp

1 - Don't know the specs of the game, any previews noting performance issues? For all we know, it may require a $200 video card to be playable.

2 - The SIMS cater to family gamers, who tend to have low-end graphics... so I think the $80 GeForceTi4200 may cut it (www.pricewatch.com) Its the best performance<>Price card on the market (better buy it while you can), its about 3 times better than the 440mx/ATI9x00 and 6x more powerful than the GF2mx or ATI 7xxxx.

3 - I and others DON'T know your hardware specs, you computer may not be able to handle an AGP video card.

4 - We dont know what you have now, it may already be good enough.

5 - what is your budget?

6 - if Sims is all you play, wait till the game comes out and then buy the video card - it will me cheaper.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your system specs would also be useful in suggesting what you need. The price is also a big point - how much do you want to spend?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Compiler, you beat me to the post. You're right on about the requirements for the game - who knows?

14. compilerxp

compilerxp

You type too slow... ;)

15. mky2007

mky2007 Thread Starter

50-100 Dollars (hopefully closer to 50) I have know idea what my comp can handle. It's a "true blue" pc with a 634mhz intel celeron precessor. Right now it has around 280MB RAM but soon it will have around 512MB. The graphics card I have now is definitley not good enough. It is an Intel 82810 Graphics controller. I have about 6 GB free space...please keep helping, it really is good to get these ideas. Also, would a 64 MB card be enough?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice