1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video halts

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wolfworx, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I watch videos often on the internet. OS=Win Vista. Browser = Firefox 18.0. 2GB memory. ATI Radeon 3000 display adapter

Very often, I experience video halting (freezing on an image) while sound continues. Simply moving the mouse causes everything to continue for a while, but the interuption repeats after a few minutes, so I must keep my hand on the mouse to watch a Video or movie without interuption.

The problem does not occur all of the time. Last night I watched a TV episode under IMDB via Hulu. The problem persisted. Shortly thereafter I watched an old Charlie Chan movie under IMDB and experienced no halting.

Why should a mouse movement "unlock" the screen freeze? I assume the problem might be in the buffering but is ther any cure for the problem? Note that the Charlie Chan movie is in B&W if that could be a factor.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Have you tried disabling all Firefox add-ons except Flash?

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Do not seem to have any other add-ons, but QuickTime plug-in seems to be default for some movie apps.

4. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Just tried running the same TV episode on another computer (Win XP, 960KB RAm, Firefox 18) using the same ISP.

I am not having the problem of halting video on this computer.

5. Phantom010

Do you have the latest Adobe Flash Player on your Vista computer?

6. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I believe I have.

7. Phantom010

Have you recently tried videos from other websites?

What if you let the video load completely before watching? Any better?

8. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Have you recently tried videos from other websites? YES

What if you let the video load completely before watching? Any better? YES, NO.

9. Phantom010

Does this only happen with online videos? What about videos you might have on your hard drive?

10. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

DVDs? -- no problem. Tried several wmv's -- no problem.

11. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Just had a chance to try on my old laptop running Win Xp SP 3 w/ 2 GB RAM and Firefox 17.

Movies run without halting of video and sound.

So far the problem only occurs on the Win Vista machine. Could the pboblem be in the Vista O/S?

Note that DVDs play OK on the Vista computer.

Also, Why does a simple mouse movement "kick" the halt and run the video for another minute or two.

Very puzzling. Simple answer is not to play on line videos on the Vista machine, although that is my newest computer.

12. Phantom010

Are you having the same problem in Internet Explorer?

Something else to try:

Right-click inside a running video and select Settings...

Once in there, select the Display tab and uncheck the "Enable hardware acceleration" box:

[​IMG]

13. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for sticking with me on this pboblem.

"Enable hardware acceleration" box was checked. I unchecked it, but that did not appear to help.

Although I have not been using IE, I tried it. It seems to be broken. Windows shuts it down when I attempt to run it. I get the following standard explanation:

"Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you.

See also
    Data Execution Prevention: frequently asked questions
    Change Data Execution Prevention settings"

Should I remove and reinstall IE? Do you think it will help with this problem?

14. Phantom010

No, do not attempt to reinstall IE.

Try starting IE without add-ons to see if it will still crash. If it doesn't, then only enable the Flash plugin and play a movie.

How to Run IE Without Add-ons

15. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Some new developments.
    IE runs without add-ons, but wont run videos that way because Flash add-on is absent.
    Firefox seems to run on line videos in small screen, but halts in full screen.
    I tried running a video in Chrome full screen. No halting! I will continue to try running on-line videos in Chrome to see if it is free of the freezing problem.

So I have a work around, but have not solved the original problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice