1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Input Out of Range

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by travelingman, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. travelingman

travelingman Thread Starter

Hello Ladies & Gents,
    I am running Linux Redhat 9 as my OS, and I just recently downloaded a Nvidia G-Force Driver, while attempting to fine tune my video display....I made some adjustments to the monitor display settings. When I re-booted the system, I got a message (Video Input Is Out Of Range). Now I am unable to get pass this screen to make any corrections....any suggestions?

2. tsunam

tsunam

What exactly did you change? It sounds like the Sync values within the Xfree config got modified and is no longer able to send the data to the video card.

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Try booting into a single user mode. Pass the kernel option init=/bin/sh, then edit your XF86Config.

4. travelingman

travelingman Thread Starter

Hey Fellas,
    Thank you for the input....however after booting in the single mode, I have not been able to get into the XF86 Config File. I have attempted to use the following methods /etc/X11/XF86Config.....redhat-config-xfree86......XF86Config-4....xf86cfg....XF86Setup.....and each time I get the following message:

Couldn't start X server, trying with a fresh configuration
    *ddcprobe returned bogus values:
    ID: None
    Name: None
    HorizSync: None
    VertSync: None

Trying with card: NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)
    Error, cannot start X server.
    sh-2.05b#

All of these problems started when I changed the resolution settings.....anymore suggestions?

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

You need to actually edit the file by hand. Use nano, or Pico. (nano /etc/X11/XF86Config-4)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/225996