1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video install poblems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2qts, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

hi, trying to update a friends old gateway. installed a new hdd,cd writer, new cpu and video card. the problem is the video card. it's a geforce fx 5200 128mb card. when i try to install the cd drivers after rebooting it comes up to the splash screen then the monitor goes into sleep mode and i have to pull the plug to restart it. after that every reboot makes the monitor go to sleep mode. i go to safe mode, take out the drivers and reboot it comes up to windows. i tried to install the newest nvidia drivers but during the install process the screen goes black and then it comes up with rows and rows of white dots. i again have to unplug to reboot. i then nevada the drivers in safe mode and it then boots to windows. my problem it when i try to scroll down a page,it has has a ripple effect. the res. is set to 800x600 and i once had this problem with an old ati rage fury maxx card. but then i installed the newest drivers for it the ripple effect went away. any suggestions as he wants the 'puter for games and i know this isn't gonna do it with the xp drivers. thanks,

2. Swiper

Swiper

Once you have safely booted to " normal " windows, check the device manage and make sure you actually or Windows didn't actually just install normal VGA drivers.
    This set of drivers will cause the 'ripple' effect you describe. (which is probably the highest res you can obtain is 800x600 ) as well

Get newest NVIDIA drivers at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html and re-install them

Good luck
    Swiper

3. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

right now in device it has a yellow ! so it right now has no driver installed. but when i load the new drivers from the link you gave the monitor goes to sleep. then thers no way to finish trying to load them

4. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

in device and on the drivers page it shows nvidia geforce fx 5200
    driver date 12/10/2005
    version 81.98.
    it still shows an !in device. what's up with that???

5. Swiper

Swiper

go back into SAFE MODE
    uninstall all display adapters you see in device manager
    reboot when prompted
    Let windows install the drivers again so windows will boot up normally, and then post us what your device manager looks like

screenshot ALT + Printscreen paste into mspaint or word or something, and post it here

Thanks
    Swiper

6. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

could remove the display adapter an error message"cannot remove this may be needed to boot your computer. i loaded and unloaded both drivers the 56.64 and then the 81.98. finally got to uninstall the display in device. rebooted now the wizard for new hardware comes up. i just cancel it as if i load either driver it locks up. i also lowered my hardware acceleration from full to none. that got rid of my ripple effect but still can't load the drivers. me device manager shows do display device because now the video controller(vga compatable) is now under other devices. cannot print or copy as it isn't connected to this computer. under the driver for the vga under other it shows no driver installed

7. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

when windows wants to install a driver, it can't find one. if i load off the disk, i get white dots on reboot with the 81.98 drivers. when i load the 56.64 driver it makes the monitor go to standby mode. (light on monitor turns yellow from green.

8. Swiper

Swiper

update the " vga compatible " device listed under under devices.
    point the driver to where you extracted the Nvidia drivers to, it should auto update and advise to reboot
    should be good now.

if not, you may need to re-seat your graphic card properly. Perhaps its just a little outta whack or something.

good luck
    Swiper

9. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

i let windows look for the driver, found none. pointed it to the nvidia file with the new 81.98 drivers. clicked ok- then it started to load the drivers showed on the screen geforce fx 5200. went black and come up with white dots across the screen. i rebooted came to the desktop with an error saying error loadind c:/windows/system32/nvcpl.dll the specified module could not be found.clicked ok- error message mvmctray.dll module could not be found." click ok again the errors went away and booted to the desktop. device manager shows ! under display in front of nvidia geforce fx 5200

10. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

clicked on geforce fx 5200 and looked at the driver date, it shows 12/10/2005
    and the driver ver. 81.98

11. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

if it shows the driver as being the updated one why an ! in a yellow yield sign? also the hardware acceleration is still at none..

12. Swiper

Swiper

Shut er down
    Pull out the card
    plug in the card
    boot up
    pray !!!

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have a question, How old is this gateway? Are you sure that your system supports the AGP card. In otherwords, Are you installing a 4X/8X AGP card on a 1X/2X AGP Motherboard?

14. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

no more "other devices". when i click on the geforce under display, on the general tab it says"windows cannot load the device drivers for this hardware. the drivers maybe corrupt or missing. (code 39)

15. 2qts

2qts Thread Starter

it's a gateway from 1999. it shows that it's a intel (tabor3) bx motherboard r3( part# 40000532). he has no user manual and i can't figure out what it is. if it is a 1x wouldn't the 4x/8x still be compatable with it???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice