1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video issues - onboard and dedicated card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AdamGM, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdamGM

AdamGM Thread Starter

Greetings all,

I have a Gateway computer, 2 GB ram, Win 7, and I was using an nvidia geforce 8600 gts video card.

It's been working great for moderate gaming like WoW and Starcraft 2. I started getting distorted screens suddenly that got worse and worse and eventually always looked like this [​IMG].

I did try looking for new drivers, but I don't remember if I had done any updating immediately before.

If I take the card out, the distortion and lines go away, but WoW will flicker on the odd occasion and then sometimes the screen will go black and it will shut off.

Maybe a driver issue? I've taken some looks at my CPU temp with Speedfan immediately after it shut down and it wasn't bad, around 50 which is a bit warm but nothing extreme.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Possibly relevant: To my memory there was a Windows Update that was display related recently. Now the card is out, I get error Code 80072F8F when I try to install this update. Maybe because the card is now gone?

Help!!

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

So, if I read your post right, if you use the onboard graphics you do not get the distortion but it may occasionally shutdown when gaming?

What is the exact model of your pc, I can see it is a gateway machine but exactly what model? Did it come with the 8600GT or is that a card you have added yourself?

The 8600GT could be faulty, it could also be a power supply problem, RAM problem or a number of things. It may take a bit of trial and error to narrow it down totally.

How clean and free from dust is the inside of the case, it may be heat related.

3. AdamGM

AdamGM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

You're description is right. It actually let me log in to wow yesterday, but the screen would flicker, and it shut off after an hour or so.

I'll look up the model when I'm home and post back.
    It did not come with the 8600 but it's been in there for years so it's not a compatabilty problem.

When I check speedfan immediately after a shutdown it's barely hitting 50.

I dont think it's too dusty, I cleaned it out when I rebounded the hear sink a few months ago.

Thx again

4. AdamGM

AdamGM Thread Starter

The computer is a gateway GM5407H.:cool:

5. AdamGM

AdamGM Thread Starter

Another update.

I gave another shot at putting my Geforce back in and reinstalling the drivers again.

I shut down and installed the card, and from the opening Windows screen, it is already distorted like shown above.
    Through the distortion I manged to navigate to the Nvidia site and I installed the drivers again.

By the time the install is done, the screen is clear of the guck! I restart and there is no issues.

It takes about 20-30 minutes for the screen to suddenly distort again, and it's completely unresponsive.

A hard shut off and restart will result in the distorted Windows screen showing, and then it all goes black.

I am now running it with the card out again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice