1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video issues with new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dcrabby, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dcrabby

dcrabby Thread Starter

I just finished building a new computer system and it has a display problem when starting. Since this is a new system, and there isn't an OS installed yet, during bootup, everything on the screen is scrambled!
    mobo: asus a8n32 sli deluxe
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual core
    video: PCI-E GeForce 7600GT w/dual DVI.
    RAM: 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
    The monitors I tried are 15/17/19 inch analog. The video card came with 2 adapters for connecting analog monitors to the DVI ports. I have not connected a digital monitor to the system yet, but why won't the analog monitors work?
    i have been able to boot to dos using a win98 recovery disk, but can't read any of the displayed text

2. onsite

onsite

it is totally scrambled, not just for a few seconds ?
    i would clear the CMOS

3. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Sounds like you need to check the seating of the graphics card (i've had this a fair few times), and maybe check that it has adequate power.

Just pull the card out (obviously with the system off) and give it a good firm shove back into the slot!

4. dcrabby

dcrabby Thread Starter

After trying 3 different monitors, using 2 different adapters (DVI to Analog), trying each of the two outputs on the video card, and removing/replacing card in each of two slots for PCI-e video cards on my motherboard, we've concluded the card is a dud! (a local computer shop owner/technician agrees with me!) Since it's still under warranty, i've applied for an RMA for a replacement. Hoping the replacement works! Iv'e only had the card for about two weeks, and only tried to use it on thursday, because the new computer wasn't ready before then.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

5. onsite

onsite

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice