Video Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CaptCAM

Here's my PC's problem. Whenever it would turn on as soon as windows xp would load the entire thing would go out. The computer was still on and the monitor was still functioning. Later it would not even get that far. I originally thought that all the start up information had corrupted and started to reformate my hard drive. After I interrupted the startup to boot from disk it happened again. So I tried to see if there was a problem with the monitor or the cable by testing another monitor I knew worked. Same problem. I'm guessing that the problem is in fact the video card. Opinions?

It depends....when did this start...is this a new PC...built PC...new monitor....old monitor? Detailed info will help to solve your problem quicker.

CaptCAM

PC is a four year old machine....E-Machines I think is the name of the brand. Monitor is the same age and make. The current video card is integrated with the mother board.

CaptCAM said:
Here's my PC's problem. Whenever it would turn on as soon as windows xp would load the entire thing would go out. The computer was still on and the monitor was still functioning. Later it would not even get that far. I originally thought that all the start up information had corrupted and started to reformate my hard drive. After I interrupted the startup to boot from disk it happened again. So I tried to see if there was a problem with the monitor or the cable by testing another monitor I knew worked. Same problem. I'm guessing that the problem is in fact the video card. Opinions?
well the problem is if it is you gfx, its built into your motherboard, so you would have tp replace it

CaptCAM

Alright, I replaced the graphics card with a brand new one. The problems seem to have actually gotten much worse. While it would originally get to the Desktop before these problems would start, but now the monitor is only giving the "no input" message. However, everything seemed to be running. Now I to restart I have to completely cut the power to the surge protector.
So far I have tried another monitor I am positive works. I tried a brand new graphics card. I tried the graphics card in several different PCI slots including one that had the modem, and I knew that worked the last time the PC actually booted. I don't have spare stick of RAM to test, but I have tried it in a different slot.
Any ideas of what the problem could be?

hmmmmmm......

If you have to kill the power to the system in order for it to boot. It could very well be a power supply issue. The psu is 4 years old like you stated. If you plan on keeping this pc for awhile. I would recommend replacing the psu in this system. Otherwise it could shortout from old age and render the computer useless. Depending on what it shorted out when the psu dies.

I forgot to add when you added the video card to the system. It could have put a strain on the psu. Emachine psu's are very weak. They only give them enough power to run what's inside the box without much expandability. The psu could be overworked and causing more problems. Running an overloaded psu could have disastrous results FYI. It could overheat and short out. I dont know what hardware is in your system but im just letting you know its possible if the system is overloaded.

CaptCAM

Well it's actually my girlfriend's Emachine so I barely know the specs on it.
About 1 ghz pentium 3 if I remember and 128mb sdram. Nothing has been added before aside from the new graphics card. I went and got a new stick of RAM to try (I owed my girlfriend another one anyway), and that did not affect anything. I was going to try replacing the CMOS battery, but I don't know the consequences of changing the battery. So I haven't gotten around to it yet...

Update: Changing the CMOS battery did not help the situation, but since there was no CMOS checksum message it probably wasn't that to begin with. Oh well the motherboard book said those don't last much more than three years anyway so I guess it was going to need changed anyway.

I'm going to try a replacement PSU. I turned on the PC with the cover off and noticed that the fan on the processor did not turn on. So from the looks of it power is indeed not getting to all the components of the motherboard.

Quote: I'm going to try a replacement PSU. I turned on the PC with the cover off and noticed that the fan on the processor did not turn on. So from the looks of it power is indeed not getting to all the components of the motherboard.

The cpu fan should not stop running period. If it has stopped like you mentioned in your post above. You will definately need to replace the cpu heatsink/fan. That's the only thing that keeps the cpu from burning up. Make sure the fan is clean from dust. If it does stop again. It's time for a new one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts