1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Lag problems with a Compaq Presario

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tugz, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugz

Tugz Thread Starter

Hi all,

I recently began playing games again on my home pc (Compaq Presario 5660au: Windows XP, GeForce 2 (64mb), 256mb Ram, P4 1.9, 250W PSU), but noticed that every few minutes any game (including old games that used to work fine such as Castle Wolfenstien) would lag real slow and the sound would do the same, but not the music. These games were all played single player so its not a network issue. After about 10 seconds it would come good and then do it again a few minutes later, very frustrating. So here's what i did:

1. Upgraded Ram (256-->1024), which didnt help the problem (although notepad now flies on this machine)
    2. Upgraded the video card from a Nvidia GeForce 2 (64mb) Compaq consumer to a Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9600 (128mb). And the graphics look so much better in any game, but still the same lagging problem as with the old setup.
    These are in no particular order:
    3. Tried Updating the Bios (and tried changing all the settings in bios - although compaq bios is extremely limited)
    4. Changed every setting for the ATI Card to low
    5. Upgraded to the latest drivers (and tried the omega drivers) - whilst uninstalling the previous ones
    5. Changed every in game setting to low
    6. Disabled / Enabled the sound card
    7. Reformatted the HDD
    8. Defragmented the HDD
    9. Changed the ATI setting from 2x AGP to 4x AGP (supported by this system)
    10. Probably some more that i cant remember right now

If anyone has any suggestions please help!

Some of my brilliant new ideas (which i have been told 1might not work, and just be a waste of my money) are:

1. Change the power supply: which is difficult as compaq makes different sized power supplies with 24pin motherboard connectors, so i'd need to change the case and buy a server fan (or a 20 - 24 pin converter) - this idea stems from the fact compaq replaced my original power supply as it stopped working

2. Replace the motherboard + fan + case which is difficult as the motherboard has SD Ram (pc133) which i just bought and is incompatable with all new motherboards (so i'd need to find an old but new one from ebay)

Thanks for your Time

Tugz

2. winbob

winbob

Tugz,

I'd have to guess that every few minutes some resource hog application is monopolizing a big slice of your PC.

If you are playing these games offline, then use CTL-ALT-DEL and END all the apps that you can't justify running including Virus, firewall, etc. Disconnect from the net, and play for a while. See if you still get the periodic lagging. If yes, comeback with a list of the processes that you left running. If no, then one of the ones you killed is the culprit.

Experiment with them by removing them one at a time with game play in between to test out the effect of removal until you find the bad-boy.

3. Tugz

Tugz Thread Starter

Fixed it

For all those wishing to know how dumb i am read on:

I was informed earlier today it may be an overheating problem, sisoftware sandra was giving a cpu temp reading between 70-77 degrees celcius which is fair hot enough to cook eggs on. I thought this was wrong, so installed MBM (motherboard monitor) and it was giving readings of between 60 at idle and 80 degrees when it started lagging. So i pulled off the CPU fan to see that the heatsink was totally clogged full of dust so no air could reach the cpu. Cleaned it and now no probs...

Cheers for the help
    Tugz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!