1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video locking up, audio distortion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhubarb1985, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhubarb1985

rhubarb1985 Thread Starter

Well, this is my last resort. I've done everything else I know of --

I have a Sony Vaio All-in-One desktop (model no. VPCL114FX) with Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1), 64-bit. The processor is Intel Core 2 duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz 2.94 GHz, the RAM is 4.00 GB. I have a brand new 1 terabyte hard drive.

I bought this computer a couple of months ago and have consistently had this problem since day one even though the previous owner says he had no problems. Every time I play a YouTube video, the screen locks up and there is intense audio distortion. Sometimes it does this with DVDs and very rarely games.

My techie brother cleaned the entire system out and installed some fixes, which allowed me to game just fine and play media, but did not help with streaming video. Unrelated to this, the hard drive crashed and I had the local computer store replace it. This included reinstalling the operating system and everything. So two days ago, I had a brand new OS, every single driver updated, and everything running perfectly fine. Including videos.

Yesterday, it started locking up, freezing, doing the audio distortion again. I've tried forcing YouTube to play to HTML5, forcing it to play to Shockwave, uninstalled/reinstalled Shockwave, turned hardware acceleration on/off. I found a fix online that had me go to "control panel > system > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change." I increased the value to the recommended number and things worked fine for a little while.

This evening it's back to locking up for 2-3 minutes at a time when I try to play YouTube videos. It finally gave me an error message: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 187.66 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I don't call it a successful recovery because it won't stop doing this. I have literally done everything I can think of. :( Please help? Oh, and my graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce G210M. Thanks.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Ensure you are using the latest video driver available from Sony.

You could also try using an older video driver. You could try using a driver directly from nVidia (which are likely newer).

Aside from that, it sounds like a hardware fault (ie: failing video chipset or simply overheating) as the problem continues after a fresh OS/driver installation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice