1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Memory Corruption?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Broas, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Broas

Broas Thread Starter

First of all I'd just like to say that this is my first post on this forum, and that it's nice to see a forum dedicated to help people out! I've searched all over the internet for a solution to my problem, and I really hope I find it here! :D

So let's get on with the show!

Somewhere around christmas time, I decided I should get myself a computer since I've been deprived of one of my own a few years ago... (best regards to my brother for shortcircuiting my old motherboard)

Anyway, I bought a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz from a friend of mine who assured me it was broken, so he sold me the processor, motherboard, ram and box for roughly €75. After a while I pinpointed the error to the motherboard so I boought a new one.

System specs follow:
    Motherboard: Asus P4S533-MX
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.400Mhz
    RAM: 256 DDR 333Mhz (I'm not sure about the memory speed, though)
    Gfx card: Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 32Mb vRAM
    HD: 10Gb + 8Gb (IDE)
    Sound Card is onboard along with network card.

I have the latest drivers for all devices including gfx card, bios, etc, and also all windows updates, latest virus and firewall defenitions for norton internet security 2004 Pro, and norton antivirus pro. I also have adaware, and run weekly virus scans, discscans, etc.

The system should be sqweeky clean! But it aint...

First (but minor) problem, is a overheated Pentium 4 processor that tends to be around 65º C (149º F). Maybe I could just get a new cooler to fix that, but I heard it tends to decreasse system performance in order to protect the CPU.

The second (and major problem) is what windows loged as a System Error. It usualy happens while playing computer (I don't play much, but my brother is addicted to CS). It also happens to me in what seems to be a random order, but it's more usual when I'm playing any multimedia content such as videos. The screen goes black with a thick red line on the top, after that the system reboots.

The error log follows:

Tipo de evento: Erro
    Origem do evento: System Error
    Categoria do evento: (102)
    ID do evento: 1003
    Data: 09-08-2004
    Hora: 12:30:58
    Utilizador: N/D
    Computador: JO-6V1ADEEDPW60
    Descrição:
    Código de erro 000000d1, parâmetro1 7e8b184a, parâmetro2 00000002, parâmetro3 00000000, parâmetro4 f9592f95.

Para mais informações, consulte o 'Centro de ajuda e suporte' em http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Dados:
    0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
    0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
    0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
    0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 64 000000d
    0020: 31 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 1 Param
    0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 37 65 eters 7e
    0030: 38 62 31 38 34 61 2c 20 8b184a,
    0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 32 00000002
    0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 , 000000
    0048: 30 30 2c 20 66 39 35 39 00, f959
    0050: 32 66 39 35 2f95

The error report, returned to me three diferente results:
    1. Driver Problem, of unknown origin
    2. Memory Problem
    3. Problem with a file in norton auto-update.

Since I have the latest nvidia drivers, and since I installed the norton update but the problem remained, I started doing some error checking. I used windows memory check utility but after 20 passes of exaustive tests it found no errors. So I ran Burnin test and I got a lot of "Video Memory Corruption" errors.

So I switched the GeForce card with a TnT2 card, but the error remained. So I thought it would probably be a driver problem since both card use forceware drivers. I switched to the onboard card and the problem was gone.

NOTE: This was when I updated to the latest forceware drivers (before that I was running some drivers that were released in March).

Even with these drivers the problem remains so I'm a bit lost...

Perhaps the problem is on the AGP slot of my brand new mother board... maybe both my second hand gfx card have the exact same problem, or maybe it's just a software problem...

I also found another possibility which I somehow ruled out. My power input is 230V and my peak powerconsumtion would be 246Watts, since I dont have physics since 9th grade I don't remember the diference between Volts and Watts, but I don't this would be a power distribution problem, since I don't have lots of USB devices (only 2 mice, a ADSL modem, and a webcam).

Soooooooo.......!? Can anybody help me with this? I gave all the information I think it's can be usefull, but if something sliped my mind, please say so! Also, forgive me for any misspelled word, but It's one AM, and my english tends to fail a bit after midnight! :eek:

Thanks for all help in advance!

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Your problem is most likely a combination of heat and a undersized power supply.. The video card is likely overheating, and as heat rises in the power supply the power supply gives less and less wattage.

Replacing the heatsink would in no way hurt the performance of the machine.. Neither would blowing the dust out..

You could also be running out of physical memory in the machine. If this machine is only running on 128mb, there's a good portion of your problem. You really need at least 512mb..

3. Broas

Broas Thread Starter

:) thanks for the reply, mate... so... d'ya think that more RAM, a bigger power suply and a nice cooling system would fix this? I hope you're right, or my wallet will hunt you down! :p

Anyway, I woun't be able to buy that stuff until next payday, so does anyone have any nice advices for the meanwhile?

By the way, can I help the TSG team in anyway?

Cheers!

4. Broas

Broas Thread Starter

let me just pull this to the fron page again by saying that I doubt this is a overheating/power suply issue, 'cause this morning I turned the computer on and started to listen to some MP3 while getting dressed, and then the computer crashed... I was only using media player for about 15 minutes, so the cause should be somewhere else...

Do note, that the visualization that I use (G-Force) uses OpenGl drivers to run...

So any ideas?

5. ZuluGruv

ZuluGruv

This may not be much help, but I am having almost an identical problem. It is very annoying having your PC randomly crash and reboot itself! If I try to play a 3D game, it will always lock up within a minute or so. I have done all that you did (drivers, swapped vid card) and then some, I replaced the system RAM, I tried a new 400 Watt Antec Power Supply, added 2 system fans and 2 Antec HD coolers and tried 3 different AGP video cards. The problem is STILL there! Although all is well with the onboard video, of course I can't play any 3D video games on the onboard video. :( I am stumped.

6. ZuluGruv

ZuluGruv

Oh and to make things worse, I tried a different motherboard and CPU and it had the same problem with all 3 AGP video cards. What do you think the chances are I somehow damaged all 3 video cards? I have never had such problems before. Very very strange.......

7. ZuluGruv

ZuluGruv

Update: Although I already have the most recent BIOS, I flashed the BIOS again with the same file and the problems went away, well for a little while anyway. The problems returned in a day or so, so I flashed the BIOS again and so far everything is working. It appears that something is corrupting the CMOS.

8. Broas

Broas Thread Starter

I made a clean install of XP and tested the videocard with only the drivers installed and the testing program (Burnin test).

If the CMOS is corrupted I take it that the data flow would be corrupted as well and thus memory corruption errors could be caused by it... right? But how can we know what is corrupting the CMOS? It shouldn't be hardware since I only have the Videocard pluged in... everything else is onboard.

9. ZuluGruv

ZuluGruv

This is the worst PC problem I have ever run across, I have tried all that I can think of and nothing makes a permanent repair. I have ordered a new motherboard and processor as my next course of action since I have already tried replacing every other bit of hardware. I am completely stumped. :(

10. Broas

Broas Thread Starter

Eventually something will have to work... I'm gonna take my computer to a computer store of a friend of mine, they'll take a look around it for free and tell me what's wrong with it...

I don't think I can do much more then this... I ran all kind of tests! tried everything, and nothing works... it's up to the pros, now..

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/260106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice