1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richlind, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richlind

richlind Thread Starter

This has probably been ask before but a search didn't find an answer.

How much video memory is really needed on a card?

1024 by 768 by 16 bit (2 byte) color equals 1,572,864 bytes.

1152 by 864 by 24 bit (3 byte) color equals 2,985,984 bytes.

Right?

2. Smety

Smety

All of that is right, but it doesn't have anything to do with your question . . .

How much video memory you want depends on what you are going to be doing on your computer (office work, gaming, video editing, etc etc)

3. richlind

richlind Thread Starter

No high-end gaming or video editing. Just some word processing and internet browsing, low-end stuff. The card will run at 1024 by 768 by 24 bit but runs 16 bit for 1152 by 864 and above.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Then all you really need to do is check the supported resolutions of your card you want to buy...

5. Smety

Smety

6. richlind

richlind Thread Starter

Good advice but I already have the card. Take a look at my next message.

7. Smety

Smety

Oh my bad, so what exactly are you asking lol?

8. richlind

richlind Thread Starter

Thanks for the link but that's about 32 times more video memory than I should need and about seven times the price I paid on eBay for this Diamond Stealth 2000 4meg card.

The computer is an eMachines 566 (unknown model) with an Intel 82810 video chip on-board. It will display 1152 by 862 by 24 bit color on an eMachines 15 inch monitor but it's a little small and kinda tough to read.

A 17 inch Sampo monitor was used on a Gateway but the Gateway is gone. (Long story in another thread.) It was displaying 1152 by 864 by 32 bit using an 8meg AGP card but the eMachines doesn't have an AGP slot, only PCI.

I can unplug the 15" and plug in the 17" but if the computer is reset, it will go into 640 by 480 and the Display Properties will display saying there is an error. eMachine Tech support doesn't provide the this type of technical information and Intel doesn't support a chip this old.

Ok, Plan B, a PCI video card and 4meg should have been enough for the little I do. It works fine for 1024 by 768 by 24 bit or 1152 by 864 by 16 bit but not 1152 by 864 by 24 bit.

A Google search found some information about "double buffering" but if that is the problem, I have no idea how to turn it off.

9. richlind

richlind Thread Starter

Sorry, I was typing the same time you were.

10. Smety

Smety

As simple as this sounds, and I could be wrong, but a 4mb card, is like . . . 15 years ago . . . literally haha, if you wanna run bigger resolutions like that, with decent color and stuff, then you need even a better card than the 4mb one . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130217

That card would even work!

Because you see, Video Memory has nothing to do with the resolutions, it's there so if you are running a program, even watching a video on the internet, it can use that RAM instead of your other RAM, its like buying a new ram stick, just for graphics. So your screen resolutions depend on your moniter, and if your graphics card can support them.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually the memory size up to 8MB determines the maximum the resolution and color depth, in this case 3MB could potentially do it. Or at least in part. The graphics processor and video driver also play a very significant part. There are performance issues with old cards with low amounts of memory when displaying at high resolutions and/or color depths. The Intel chip should do the job, at least in 2D for the color depth and resolution you want.

I would try reinstalling the latest Intel graphics driver: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=798

12. richlind

richlind Thread Starter

If the video card wanted a few bytes of system memory, it could have it. With 256 meg installed only 183 meg is used, right now. So it could have a meg or two, even three if it wants.

The monitor can handle 1280 by 1024 by 32 bit color so that shouldn't be a problem. And the card can handle 24 bit color in lower resolution. I can live with 16 bit color but it seems like wasting half the card.

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Note that many "truecolour" 24 bit implementations use 32 bit "long words".

Also the video GPU requires some memory to perform its own calculations.

A PCI video card does not normally have any direct access to system memory to supplement the requirements.

14. Smety

Smety

Did not know that, thank you :)

Okay NOW I finally understand your question lol

15. richlind

richlind Thread Starter

Thanks for the link but I already have both WIN9XE67.EXE and WIN9X67.ZIP. (Like downloading both was going to help.) For some reason the Intel chip doesn't like the Sampo monitor and won't give the hi-res true-color even though the monitor will handle it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice