1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video playback and streaming. Video card problem or software?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erniemink, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniemink

erniemink Thread Starter

I recently installed Windows Service Pack 2, actually three times after reinstating my computer software to the original state by erasing and reinstalling the full software install CD on my computer's hard drive for Window XP Home. I have no problems playing games with my new FX 5200 Ultra video card by BFG, but I am at random times getting the annoying green screen that blanks out my videos I am streaming or playing(happens when I am streaming more often). Then after that happens usually, the computer reboots or shuts off. I never had this happen before. My computer's memory tests ok so why can I play games with this never happening but when I am streaming or watching video through Windows Media Player, etc do I get the "green screen blankout" and then often the shutdown of my computer? I have 512 MB of system memory and 128 MB of video memory! I use System Mechanic and it shows I have at least half of my memory even during playback so what is the problem here? I can attach my system computer file of my information if you like in an e-mail if it will help. AND YES I HAVE THE DIVX CODECS. I thought about that to and uninstalled and reinstalled them with the same random problems. PLEASE HELP ME. This is really annoying.

2. opopanax

opopanax

Well, it seems u dont have a hardware problem. this problem occurs only when u r watching videos. so i guess its the media player. take my suggestion, stop using it. Download this pack: KLite Codec Pack. I think the latest version is 3.2. Its got all the codecs u need to play compressed videos, and dvds. Its also got an advanced media player which can play any video u open it with like wmv, dat, mpg, rm, mov, avi, divx..... of course, the codecs for these formats r included in the pack.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/305886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice