1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video playback issue...a BIOS problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AirDave, Dec 8, 2018 at 10:20 AM.

Advertisement
  1. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

Recap of what happened...
    about two weeks I experienced a major video crash during gameplay (World of Warships)
    Radeon R7 370 4gb video card.
    After I recovered from the crash (basically a couple of reboots) I had a connection problem with the monitor.
    Eventually I tried various cable connections, a different monitor, tried updating video drivers and rolling them back to older ones,
    eventually swapped to an older video card which worked.
    Now I am back up and running on a new video card.

Throughout this all, and with the different video cards and configurations, I've noticed something new when watching videos.
    The video playback fades dark at various times...the video almost impossible to see...and then back to normal brightness.
    It seems to happen when the scene goes dark (maybe a dimly lit room) and the image will fade really dark, much darker than it should be,
    until the scene gets brighter (maybe an outdoor scene?) and then the brightness comes back for a few seconds or minutes until the next dark fade.

This is something new since my video crash.
    It happens on VLC player, and Windows Media Player.
    It does it with different film and video formats (avi, mkv, etc)
    It also happens online, at places like Youtube.
    In fact, any online streaming of video shows the same effect.

I've tried updating video drivers.
    I've tried: different monitor cables, different monitors, different video cards, different playback settings....
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled VLC player (my default video player).

After checking online, I have discovered suggestions that this may be a BIOS problem.
    I did run a system file check/scan (through the command prompt, when I first had the video crash) and it reported no bad files.
    But thats a Windows thing right? Not anything to do with BIOS.

I don't know how to determine if something is wrong with the BIOS, or how to fix it safely.
    I downloaded the latest files, but touching the BIOS scares me.
    My BIOS version is 1801 (the current version that applies to my system is 2101)

Any ideas?

----------------------
    board specs.jpg system specs.jpg gpu specs.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 10:27 AM
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Flashing a BIOS is usually the last thing to try. But it is not as tricky as the olden days of pre-2000. Basically you want to make sure your Windows is stable, so that the flashing does not crash mid way. And when flashing, do not do anything to interrupt it. So go ahead and try if the BIOS update fixes it.

3. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

When has Windows ever been stable? lol
    In other words, I am at risk right from the get-go?!

is there no way to "check" the BIOS? see if there are any obvious errors or problems?

Before I do anything with the BIOS, I am curious as to whether anyone has an opinion on the video problem.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Well, Windows is stable if you use it for basic things like surfing and word processing; in other words, what MS can test for. Then I imagine, the testing would be done for each Windows executable, to see if it does the things it is intended to do. The things they can't test for is interaction with other things, like programs from third parties.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I highly doubt the bios is causing the problem however IF you want to flash it, the ONLY way I ever update a bios on an asus board is by using EZflash which is a utility built into the bios. This removes windows from the task and [IMO] is a much safer way to flash a bios.
    In any case, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure. A bios update is not difficult however an incorrect flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I would try loading bios defaults and or clearing cmos prior to updating the bios.

7. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

well obviously I don't want to touch the BIOS if thats not what the problem is.
    I'd rather establish a better reason to mess with BIOS.
    And the fact that I don't completely understand how to do this, is another reason.

I'm not afraid to try things if I have the proper instructions and understanding,
    but this is something I am completely unfamiliar with.

8. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

I actually did this already...shortly after my original Video card crash.
    (Removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes)

This was one thing I was told to do while diagnosing the problem of why my monitor was out of sync.
    Can't honestly say I saw the video darkness issue before that, but its definitely there since.

I can do it again, if you think it might help.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Removing the cmos battery is not really the best way to clear cmos. A much better way;
    1 System OFF, pull the pw cord from the pw supply. Press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply
    2 Open the case. Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds. Replace the jumper, reinstall the side cover and the pw cord
    3 Pw ON and enter the bios. Make any custom setting you need; ie boot order, sata mode, etc

Note some boards do not use a jumper per se; they have two pins that you short with a metal object ie small screwdriver, paperclip, whatever. Read your manual as to whether or not you use a jumper.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 12:52 PM
  10. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

"Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds. Replace the jumper,"

I don't know what this means.

I have a few Jumpers.
    Most are hand knitted.
    I have a nice acrylic one that I bought from Yamaha to wear under my leathers.
    But its black, red and white.
    I don't have any clear ones.
    And how does wrapping my computer in a Jumper help it clear the CMOS?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read your motherboard manual? If not, then do so. If you still have a question, ask.

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually the motherboard has a jumper connection with 3 pins. With the jumper connecting 2 pins. Connect it one way, and you have normal operation; connect it the other way and it clears the CMOS.

13. AirDave

AirDave Thread Starter

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice